THE OBSTACLE

THE OBSTACLE

ARINOLA

After the delivery, I called mummy and told her that I wouldn't be coming to the shop,  she'd raged, offended and had refused to be placated.

"You're not taking this job seriously, I'll deduct money from your salary" She hissed angrily.

"But I have done my work for today na mummy" I protested.

"Which work? because you delivered a cake to Gbagada you think you've worked. Is that how they work? Lazy woman, you don't know there are plenty of things to handle at the shop. If you don't come I'll deduct money from your salary" she said and ended the call.

I shrugged nonchalantly, let her deduct what she wants to deduct.

I called Oluchi and Anita and asked them to meet me up at our favourite smoothie bar.

Anita and I have been friends since secondary school, we eventually went to the same university and that was where we became friends with Oluchi, the three of us have been inseparable since then.

Anita and Oluchi were waiting for me at our favourite spot when I got there.

"Sexy babe" Anita smiled as I leaned down to hug her.

"Igbo girl" I teased back before turning to Oluchi to hug her also.

"No work today?" Oluchi asked.

They knew of the tight leash my mother had around me.

I hissed before sitting down.

"You know My mother now,  she already threatened to deduct money from my salary. I'm just too tired to go to the shop,  I already did a delivery today. Let me relax" I said tiredly.

"You dey try o, I no fit work for your mama. She is too problematic" Anita joked.

"As in ehn......" I chuckled.

"Olu and I broke up" Anita announced out of the blue.

I rolled my eyes,  Anita never had long-lasting relationships.

Just last month she was gushing that Olu was the one for her and now they are done?

"You mean you broke up with him" I corrected arching my brows.

"Whatever" she hissed.

"What happened this time?" Oluchi asked.

"He's been bugging me to move in with him and you know how I like my space. I'm not ready for any man to be all up in my business" Anita hissed.

"Continue this way and you'll be keeping your space for life. Olu was a great guy,  something is wrong with you" Oluchi said shaking her head in disappointment.

"Forget him please,  he's old news" Anita frowned.

"Why am I not surprised, Anita? Anyway, I have news for you girls" I said smiling.

They edged closer eager to hear what I had to say.

"Girl speak," Oluchi said.

"Today I got a ride from the Wale Solade," I said cocking my head to the side.

Anita and Oluchi chuckled amused.

"Girl you can dream, my Wale Solade?" Oluchi had a huge crush on the guy,  hell, she followed him on Instagram, Twitter, liked and commented on all his posts on every other social network.

"Your Wale Solade picked me up at the bus stop at Alesh and drove me all the way to Gbagada where I was supposed to deliver the cake. He asked for my number, dude totally wanted to see me again" I bragged, well who wouldn't?

I just turned down one of the richest bachelors in the country, if any blogger got wind of it, I'll be popular in minutes. 

It took every ounce of self-control in me to tell him no,  the guy was oozing sexuality, wealth, and all things hot.

Oluchi gasped bringing out her phone from her purse,  she pointed the phone towards me.

"This Wale Solade?" she asked.

I looked at her Phone's wallpaper, it was a picture of Wale Solade.

"Yes, this Wale Solade" I rolled my eyes and began to give them a rundown of everything that went down today.

"Oh my God!" Oluchi gushed.  Her eyes were wide as saucers. Anita just looked amused.

"Well, when are you seeing him again?" She asked.

"Ugh...never" I groaned.

"What do you mean never?" Oluchi asked gripping my hand.

"It means I didn't give him my number, girl I have a boyfriend okay?" I said.

Anita scoffed looking rather disappointed.

"Girl, are you crazy? We're talking about the Wale Solade. Nigeria's hot, single, bachelor" she said.

"And don't you guys remember Osaze my boyfriend, you know the man I intend to marry?" I asked.

Anita scoffed again and Oluchi just looked disappointed.

It's no surprise that they didn't like Osaze.

They bad-mouthed him most of the time but that didn't change the way I felt about him.

Osaze and I have been together for so long that not even Nigeria's richest bachelor can separate me from him.

  I licked my lips nervously waiting for them to criticize me.

"How could you be so dumb? This Wale guy can give you anything in the world and you'd pick Osaze over him.
Osaze has nothing to offer you, he's jobless and he treats you like crap" Anita spat.

I sighed and shook my head,  it was true that Osaze was unemployed at the moment but that's only temporary. Soon he'll be back on his feet.

"What's wrong with you people? I remember well that when Osaze was working at the bank you had no problems with him. He took us clubbing every Friday, paid for your phone's monthly subscription, and gave you guys money too, and now that he has a little problem, you two are bad-mouthing him. You want me to leave him now because he has no job, I'm disappointed in you two.  Let me tell you something when Osaze gets a new job, I don't want to see any of you buttering him up for anything" I hissed angrily.

"Arin, it's not like that. Osaze isn't good for you. The way he treats you at times, we just want what's best for you"  Oluchi said calmly.

"You don't even know anything about this Wale guy. The devil you know, is better than the angel you don't know" I glared at Anita and she glared back.

"Are we still talking about the same Osaze that hasn't returned any of your messages and calls since he kicked you out of his house last night?" Anita hissed again.

I regret telling her about my fight with Osaze last night but I just needed a little comfort after leaving Osaze's house and the girls were available. So they'd taken me out to lighten my sour mood and I'd spilt everything to them over alcohol. I left out the part where he'd hit me but the girls weren't stupid or blind either, they must have seen the bruise on my face.

"Leave my relationship with Osaze alone, I don't even know why I told you, girls, anything about this Wale guy.  This chapter is closed" I said with a note of finality.

"Suit yourself" Anita frowned.

"I will" I hissed.

"Girls... Enough" Oluchi said uncomfortably.

"Moving to another topic,  there's this party at Legend bar on Friday" Oluchi changed the topic to ease the tension.

I went along with it and soon we began talking about something else.

Osaze and Wale were temporarily forgotten