Chapter 7 - Look Like One, Act Like One

The zombies pushed through the broken window, making their way towards the young slayers.

"Everyone, upstairs!" Steph shouted.

"Wait! What about Dallin?" Trevor asked.

"Just leave him! We don't have time to carry him upstairs!" Brianna stated.

"We can't just leave him there! They'll kill him!" Trevor argued.

"He's already bitten! What more can they do?" She snapped.

"Can we please just go before we all literally become dead meat? "Katherine interrupted.

Everyone ran upstairs as quickly as they could. The zombies loomed over an unconscious Dallin, but decided not to eat him and instead went after the others. The group watched carefully to see if the zombies would be able to follow them.

"A-are you sure they can't follow us up here?" Kayla stammered.

"Umm... I'm not "completely" sure. Maybe we should put up a barricade just in case?" Steph advised.

"Good idea." They all said in unison.

The group decided to use the furniture upstairs to block the hungry zombies from reaching the top. Things like bookcases, desks, and dressers were stacked on top of each other like a wall until no zombies were seen.

"Alright, that should hold them. ...At least for now." Trevor declared.

"What do you mean at least for now? You mean that heavy furniture can't stop them from coming up here?! What's the point of us doing that if it's not going to protect us permanently?!" Daniel protested.

"Relax, drama queen. All we need to do is think of something before they get to us. Something that doesn't involve ...giving up." Steph said as she glared at Anthony.

"Well, I guess I'm out then. If anyone else has a much better idea, please, don't be shy." Anthony mocked.

"I have one. I think we should stop hiding and start fighting back! We can't just keep running and hiding forever." Brianna insisted.

"We tried fighting them. But look what happened? More of them appeared and we were outnumbered. How do you expect us to fight hundreds of zombies?" Trevor asked.

"Maybe... we don't need to fight them all. Maybe there's some kind of source hidden somewhere? That would explain the sudden zombie increase." Katherine questioned.

"You mean like a machine that makes multiple zombies?" Steph asked.

"Exactly. Or at least something of the sort. Maybe someone found a way to reanimate the dead or found a way to create them from scratch." She explained.

"But why would someone want to create or reanimate the dead?" Esli asked

"Probably to scare the trick or treaters. Or because they have an unhealthy obsession with zombies." Katherine replied

"Who cares about the reason why they're doing it! It's an extremely disgusting thing to do!" Kayla barked.

"So, say there is someone doing all of this. Where exactly would they be hiding?" Trevor asked.

"I'm not sure. But wherever they are, we're not going to find them staying here. We need to go out there and at least try and look for them." Katherine answered.

"You mean go out there and search for some disturbed person that may or may not exist? And what if we don't find them? Then what happens?" Daniel snapped.