Chapter 4 "Never Be Anyone After You"

It's been a week since the accident at the house fire.
Everyone is doing better, but still feeling the effects of the fall.

Shaylynn walks into the Common room with a couple of guys following her carrying huge serving containers.
"Shaylynn, this is the third time you've done this!" Boden tells her.
"And?" she says to him as she points to the kitchen area for the guys to take the stuff, too "I'm sure no one here feels like making supper, so supper is coming to you!"
Everyone gets up and heads to get something to eat.
Boden looks at Shaylynn, "You're spoiling them!" he says smiling.
She smiles back, "You better go and get something to eat before it's all gone."
Shaylynn looks around and doesn't see Severide, "Is Kelly, in his quarters?" she asks Boden.
"Yes," he tells her.
"I'll go tell him he better get out here," she tells Boden and starts walking towards the bunkroom.

While Shaylynn's in the back getting Severide, four men and a woman walk into the Firehouse.
"Can we help you?" Herrmann asks as he sits down at the table.
"We're looking for Shaylynn Voight," one of the men says, "We went to her house and she wasn't there. Remembering she said her husband was a Lieutenant at Firehouse 51, we were hoping she was here."
"She'll be out here in a minute. She went to the back to get her husband" Boden tells them.
"Thanks!" the older man tells him.
A few minutes later, Severide and Shaylynn walk out into the Common room and see four people standing there with their backs to them.
"There she is!" Mouch tells them.
The four turn around and see her standing by Severide.
Shaylynn gets a shocked look on her face, "Bobby! Evan! Howie! Henrietta! Why are you guys here?"
They all smile at her, "We were at the Firefighter Convention in Indianapolis and thought we would come and visit before we head home" Bobby tells her.
Severide nudges Shaylynn with his elbow, she looks at him, "I'm sorry! Everyone I'd like to introduce you to Bobby Nash, Evan Buckley, Howie Han, and Henrietta Wilson. They're Firefighters and Paramedics from L.A. Bobby's the Captain for the Firehouse. Everyone calls Evan, Buck. Where Howie is called, Chimney and Henrietta is called Hen." she tells everyone.
Everyone comes up to the four, shakes their hands and welcomes them to Firehouse 51.
"Come and get something to eat!" Boden tells them.
"We shouldn't impose!" Bobby tells him.
"Nonsense!" Boden tells Bobby, "Any friends of Shaylynn's are friends of ours! Plus you're fellow Firefighters and Paramedics! Now, come and get something to eat!"
Bobby looks at Shaylynn, "You better do what he says!" Shaylynn says winking at Bobby.
Buck, Chimney, and Hen walk back to get something to eat while Bobby walks over to Shaylynn as Severide walks past him and walks back to the food.
"You go from one Firehouse to another" Bobby says to her.
"No! It's not like that! I was engaged to an FBI agent before he was shot and killed" Shaylynn tells him.
"Shaylynn, I'm sorry!" Bobby says turning to look at her.
"Thanks," she says thinking about Duncan.
"I talked to Cole, he said he's seen you around Chicago," Bobby says.
Shaylynn rolls her eyes, "I can't believe you stay in contact with him!" she tells Bobby.
"Why wouldn't I? He was one of my best Firefighters! You know he moved here because he was following you!" he tells her.
"Sorry about his luck! What he and I had in L.A. was only there!" she tells Bobby, "Oh I get it! You're blaming me for Cole leaving!"
"No, I'm not!" Bobby tells her.
"It sure does seem that way!" Shaylynn tells him, "You better go and get something to eat before it's all gone!"
"Shaylynn," Bobby says.
"I have to be going!" she tells him when she realizes she left her bag back in Severide's quarters.
Shaylynn turns around and starts walking back to the bunkroom.
Bobby walks over to where the food is and gets some. He walks over to the table and sits down between Boden and Severide.
Severide looks around and sees Shaylynn's nowhere around, he looks over at Bobby "Did Shaylynn leave?" he asks.
"She headed toward the back" Bobby tells him.
Severide stands up from the table and starts walking back toward the bunkroom.

When he walks into the bunkroom he can see Shaylynn in his quarters standing over by the window.
He walks over to his quarters and can see from the side that she's holding a little mirror and putting on lipstick.
"Are you okay?" he asks her.
"I'm fine!" Shaylynn says turning around to put her things back into her bag.
Severide doesn't press anymore, "It's nice to meet some of your friends from L.A." he tells her.
"Yeah" she says zipping up her bag then puts it over her shoulder.
Severide studies her face, "Shaylynn, you don't seem like you're alright" he tells her.
Shaylynn shakes her head, "Seeing those four brought up some memories I didn't want to remember!"
Severide gives her a look, "Were you involved with Bobby or Buck?" he asks her.
She looks at him with a funny look, "No! Oh God no! It's memories from calls the LAPD and LAFD were called out on because of the serial murders. A lot of the victims were children" she tells him.
"I never asked you but were you involved with Lucifer?" Severide asks her.
Shaylynn looks down at the floor, "Yes" she tells him looking back up, "Kelly, you have to understand I have a past just like you! After Marshall died I grieved then I went wild! While in L.A. I was involved with Lucifer and then a guy named Cole. He was a Firefighter in Bobby's Firehouse, that's how I know them so well."
Severide looks at her, "Shaylynn I'm not judging you! I have no right to judge you with my past!" he tells her as he walks over to her and pulls her to him, "Shaylynn, I love you! All those women in the past meant nothing to me! I realized that when I met you! You're my one true love, my soulmate!"
"If something happens to me, you'll get with someone else!" she tells him looking down.
Severide puts a finger under her chin lifting her head up to look at him, "There will NEVER be anyone after you! There's no one out there who can take your place!"
He moves closer to her so he can kiss her when a call comes in.
Shaylynn puts her hand behind Severide's head and pushes him to her and starts kissing him taking him by surprise.
He pulls her against him even closer, "I don't want to go!"
Shaylynn backs up from him, "You have to go!" she tells him.
"Shift is over tomorrow morning, can I stop by?" he asks her.
She smiles at him, "I'll be at my new job!"
"That's right! Well, can I stop by after you get off?" Severide asks.
Shaylynn smiles, "Yes, I'll call you when I get home."
Severide smiles, kisses her one more time and hurries out of his quarters.
Shaylynn walks out to the Common room to find the four newcomers standing there.
"Come on guys I'll take you to get some drinks!" Shaylynn tells them.
Buck smiles, "Sounds like a plan!"
They all walk out together to their vehicles.
Bobby watches for Shaylynn to pull out and follows her to Molly's.

*~*~*~*~*~*

If you watch the show 9-1-1 you'll recognize some of the characters in this chapter.

I'm really enjoying that show and it's my favorite "Firefighter" show after Chicago Fire.