𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

DEAR JACK,
Do you wonder why Dean doesn't believe in you?
Even I wonder if I should too.
Maybe I misunderstood what you are,
Or if he had been right all along.
Now I'm stuck to sit and wonder if you belong.

❂

THE WINCHESTER'S HAD DECIDED TO STOP AT A MOTEL ON THEIR TRIP BACK TO LEBANON, KANSAS. It had been nicer than some places that they had stayed but still had that smell that had them scrunch up their noses as they made their way through the halls. Dean didn't care where they stayed, as long as everyone accepted that they were only getting one room for the four of them.

Coming up to their door, Dean could see Sam and Rose exchanging a look that had him point the key towards them. "We're not getting another room." Pushing open the door, he pointed inside, instructing them all to get in. Double checking the halls in case they had been followed, the emptiness and silence had been comforting enough to head in himself.

Sam had given instruction to ward the room, eat then sleep before they could head out early in the morning. Just exhausted from the long two days they had gone through, Rose slipped off her jacket, holding back on her groans as her body had ached. "Take the bed," Sam said as he passed her. "I can take the floor for the night."

Tossing her jacket across a chair, she sat down with a frown, "I'm not that tired."

Sam's shoulders had slacked in disappointment as he looked her over. Between the busted lip and cuts across her face, nothing had compared to the exhaustion in her eyes. Not only had they not gotten a chance to sit and eat, he was certain it's been a while since they had gotten to get some shut eye. "Well, I'm probably gonna go grab the food, so if you wanted to..."

"I'm getting food," Dean called out. "Why don't you stay and keep an eye on things."

"Are you sure?"

Giving a firm nod, Dean headed towards the door. He hadn't said it out loud, but all of them had known that he did not trust Jack alone. "Yeah. Need some time to think anyways." Digging into a bag, he soon felt the can of spray paint, tossing it right towards Rose. "In the mean time, get to work." Without another word, Dean headed out, making sure to slam the door behind him.

Giving a slight shake of his head, Sam took the can from Rose, "You guys just relax. I can put the wardings up." Trading for the tv remote, he had hoped that some relaxation was all any of them had needed. Though he had been playing everything off as calmly as he could, he still had his moments but everyone around him had mattered most to him. His time to grieve their losses had seemed irrelevant when others were much more important in his eyes. Just seeing that both Jack and Rose had felt comfortable making their way over to the bed for some late night tv, Sam had felt the slightest bit better. All he had to prepare for was Dean coming home and putting a stop to it all.

IT WAS GROWING LATE when Dean had arrived back with the food for the bunch. They had all gathered around the small coffee table and were ready to chow down to get to some good rest. New to this world, Jack had looked to someone for guidance on how to act— that being Dean Winchester. There wasn't too many options to choose from, but Dean had seemed headstrong. He knew what he had wanted and would act for himself and that's exactly how he needed to be as he told his mother he would.