𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

DEAR JACK,
Somehow, I'm still alive
And yet, I still feel as if I'm drowning.
Maybe it's the idea of leaving you that's killing me.

AFTER RETURNING BACK HOME THINGS AROUND CAMP HAD BEEN AWFULLY QUIET. Mary and Jack had worked with the camp to ensure that their protection was the top priority. Michael's attack at his fortress on their group had caused many to worry and panic, especially with Bobby away for some time.

Today had felt that there was something different in the air. Jack had felt his mood increase through out the day, and everyone else seemed to be at a calm. There hasn't even been the worry that something big could occur soon with the world so quiet. Today just felt special.

There was a pep in his step as he waved to Mary while passing by. In his other hand, he allowed a flower to dangle in between his fingers from a kind woman that had thanked him for his troubles. Jack had wanted to spread that kindness, and who better than the person he cared most for.

As he had followed the path through the camp, he had felt his smile disappearing as he approached Rose. Once again she had not sat alone and just as he imagined, their conversation would most likely not be private. Trying to hide his disappointment, he had made his way over as Rose had kept her head down, listening as Constance talked in a hushed whispered.

"Hello," he said, keeping his eyes only on Rose. When she had lifted her head up, he could see the boredom settling in her eyes. However, the corners of her lips had turned upwards as she met his eyes. Standing up, she had brushed away Constance's hand attempting to hold her back as she stood before Jack. "Hey, don't you have some heroic duties or something?"

He gave a small shrug. "Everything's quiet today. I'm sure no one will notice I'm gone."

Standing up next, Constance shook her head. "They always need more people watching the boarders of the camp. For all we know, Michael could be coming. He did best you at his fortress."

"That was..." Jack's voice trailed off as he tried to find an explanation to the loss of all those that died.

Rose, on the other hand, had not been all impressed with Constance's need to tear down Jack. "Michael was a no-show. Too much of a coward." She sighed as she frowned at Jack in turn, "She is right though. Constance has some ideas on how we can take on Michael and..."

Rose's voice was cut off as Constance cleared her throat loudly. "We're still discussing it. Just like we had discussed it staying private."

"Right," Rose nodded. In the distance, a bell had rang out to signal the arrival of someone at camp. Whether it be new comers or Bobby returning, it was enough to catch Jack's attention. "You should go check it out," Rose instructed.