Chapter 22

© kelliekook

"To the happy couple, may you enjoy the rest of your lives together!"

Brianna's father held up his glass and there was a cheer of agreement from the guests. Rachel raised her flute of champagne to the couple and gulped down the alcohol.

A few hours ago she'd been doing fine – better than fine, actually – as a bridesmaid it was her duty to socialise; entertain guests and tell cute stories about the newly wedded couple.

It wasn't something Rachel particularly enjoyed, yet this time it had been going surprisingly well, that was, until Madison sidled up beside her and opened her big mouth.

"There. Just to your left, the cute one with the highlights – he's been eyeing you since you walked up the aisle!"

Rachel's cheeks burned. "Don't be silly." She hissed.

"I'm not being 'silly', I'm being honest. Just look at him, he's dying for your attention! It's quite funny actually."

"What?"

"Still, you should go and talk to him. Come on, I'll go with you." She grabbed Rachel's hand and pulled.

"Oh no, oh no no no, uh-uh I am not going to embarrass myself."

"You won't embarrass yourself, I'll make sure of it."

"I said no, Maddy," Rachel pulled free of her grip, "I don't want to, and you know perfectly well why that is." She snapped.

Madison stepped back, "I'm sorry, I was being pushy." She sighed, and lifted her chin indignantly "But Rach, you need to let go a little, you were so uptight at the bachelorette party last night and you've been especially moody recently. Just 'live-a-little' okay? This is a wedding, not a funeral."

She walked away and Rachel huffed, wanting to hang on to the anger rather than let it be replaced with that horrible sense of stupidity.

Of course she didn't hold to it, Rachel had never been one to hold a grudge.

And now she sat at the head table, surrounded by people eating and smiling and laughing, feeling like a foolish five year old.

Madison let her be, chatting away animatedly with Brianna, the glowing bride.

Rachel sighed as she watched them giggle.

 "I've never seen her so happy before." Jaz said dreamily, saying out loud what Rachel had just been thinking.

"Me neither." She agreed.

"I hope their marriage is everything they want it to be."

Rachel nodded.

"I don't think I'll ever get married."

Surprised, Rachel turned to face Jaz, "Why do you say that?"

She looked down as the first course was placed in front of her. "I don't know, I just don't think I will."

"But, I thought you wanted to."

"I'd like to, eventually, but I can't see it happening."

"That's because you're not even twenty," Rachel grinned, "it'll seem more 'real' once you're twenty-four and in a serious relationship."

Jaz smiled, "When did you become the wise relationship guru?"

Rachel blinked.

"You know, you've really changed over the last couple of months."