Chapter Four: Chocolate

Zayn's POV

Evangeline keeps her head down when we get off the elevator. She picks at her fingers going down the hall to the pool. Opening the door you can feel the perfectly heated water just call your name. Niall and the guys start to strip to their boxers and i feel like i have to shield Evan. She begins to take her sweater off and i notice she didn't have a shirt under. She reaches for me and i kneel down and help her up. "Zayn," she whispers and i glance up at her. "I can't pull my pants down." I ask for Sophia to help hold her up and i can hear her gasp as her cold fingers touch her and i hold back on telling Evan she doesn't have to apologize. I unbutton her pants and pull them down, i try to keep everything in as i see the cuts on her legs and the bruises. After i take them off i pick her up and Sophia helps in carrying her oxygen tank and i set her on the steps of the pool. She lets out a breath and smiles. "You have no idea how long I've missed being in a pool."

Sophia and Eleanor sit with Evan as they watch us splash around like idiots. After pushing down Louis i hear Evan laugh. I turn and see her trying to braid Harry's hair and i watch as she throws her head back in sweet laughter. I feel everything in my body waken, I'm lost in her daze and i can see The 1975 video start again and her body glow. Before i know it i'm pulled away from the blissfulness and i open my eyes under water to see Louis was to blame. We all settle down and i see Evan take her oxygen tube off and Harry helps her down. I rush to her and i try to put her back on the stair but she squeezes my shoulder. "I'm okay." she smiles and the hairs on the back of my neck stand. "Hold me." She leans into me and wraps her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist. i set my head perfectly in her neck and wrap my arms around her small fragile body. i can feel her slow breathing and the aching of her bones.

"I've missed you so much." she whispers. i turn and walk around in our embrace. "When i was on that plane i thought i was dead, the top of the plane was pure white." I cringe and hold her tighter. "Liz was asking me how i was every 5 minutes and wouldn't let me sleep." We walk around the pool in silence for awhile and she tells me how it's been in the hospital and about the whining girl in the room next to her and how she presses the call button all day. "Thank you." She says. "I would have gone crazy if i was stuck there for one more day."

"You're most welcome." i kiss her cheek and she tells me she needs the oxygen. We sit on the stairs and laugh about everything and the guys tell her about what to expect while with us and i can't take my eyes off her. She is full of life and for a moment in my mind she doesn't have cancer, she isn't dying. She's with me and we're on tour living our dream, the dream we had when we were young idiots running on the beach. In this moment she is my forever.

"There you guys are!" Liz comes rushing in with Paul as he's holding an oxygen tank. "You could have told us where you were, you could have hurt yourself and put your life in danger!" Liz yells at Evan and she frowns with embarrassment. i stand and stop Liz from patronizing her further.

"Stop, it was my idea and i know i should have told you but you're here now and she's still alive."

"For now." She mumbles, i gasp and look down to her and she doesn't look at me.

"Why do you do that!?" She looks at me and everyone starts to get out. "Stop it's frustrating and it hurts just fucking be happy for once." i yell and i don't realize how bad i've hurt her till i'm walking to the door and i see Harry helping her out. I don't turn back because i'll look like an ass, more than i already made myself look like. I hear Evan cough and i cringe. When i get back to my room i call Perry, or try to. She doesn't answer and i give up. I walk to her door and Liz answers. "Is she okay?" i say and search the room from the doorway.

"She's in the shower-,"

"Liz!" I hear Evan yell cutting off Liz. I run before she could react and I push the bathroom door open and see her standing in front of the mirror looking at her-self only in a bra and underwear. I stop and freeze at the door as i see the number of bruises on her body. "I look gross." She cringes away from her reflection. "What are you doing here? I thought you were off having a bitch fit."

"I'm sorry, I-I just can't handle knowing how comfortable you are with this." She looks up at me and fury burns in her eyes, I've hit a nerve.

"You think i'm comfortable knowing I'm going to miss the rest of my life, comfortable when everyone stares at me because the little hair that i have is falling out, or how about the part you think i'm comfortable with is having to sit in a damn hospital room while my best friend is off having the time of his life and yet i never got a thank you for pushing you to those freaking auditions." I can see her eyes redden over with holding tears. "I can't stand that you keep things from me, that you think i'm so stupid and that you bribe everyone around me to be careful, to act cautious. Do you not understand how that makes me feel?" She starts to raise her voice. She holds her-self up on her shaking knees.

"I'm sorry Evangeline, I'm sorry that i just want to protect you!" Great now i'm shouting. "And hiding things? You know i tell you everything," She stands and her breathing accelerates, Liz steps in to calm her but she stops her.

"You thought I'd never know and you thought it would help if i just didn't know at all." She takes a step towards me with her hands balled up at her sides and i step back with my hands ready to catch her if she falls.

"Evan what are you talking about?" a single tear rolls down her cheek.

"Be sure to tell Perrie to be careful in her wedding dress, it'd be a shame if red whine accidentally spilt on it." She pushes me and slams the bathroom door close. Liz stands in front of me with her hand over her mouth. We stay still, shocked and lost.

"When did she find out?" i whisper to Liz and she shrugs. "Who told her?" She puts her hands up and steps back.

"I kept all the evidence from her like you told me." I let out a sigh and feel the pounds add to my shoulders. "Poor thing must have been crushed." I turn and look at the quiet closed door.

"I broke our promise."

When Liz finally kicks me out i lose it. Pacing and pacing myself around the room calling both Perrie and Evan getting no one to answer. I hear Niall's laugh outside and see him head to the elevators on the phone. I call out for him and ask where he's heading and he gives me the international drinking sign and i take my phone catching up to him.

"Zayn Malik drinking with a mate?" Niall kids and i role my eyes.

"Sometimes you need to forget."