Episode 3: The Last Laugh (Final Part)

Elizabeth's Pov
I sighed as I walked beside Monica. "They're almost upon here." I listened to the sound of the undead groaning just ahead of us. A large amount of zombies were walking towards us. A hundred at least. Most of the buildings around us seemed abandoned so I grabbed Monica by the wrist and pulled her over to an open window of one of the buildings.

"Are we going to die?" Monica asked with a scared look on her face.

"We'll be fine. Just stay quiet." I whispered to her.

She nodded back at me and we waited cautiously to see if anything or anyone was hiding in here. After a few seconds of hearing absolutely nothing, I pressed forward. We couldn't stay in one place for long.

I sighed again. The air in here was hot and there was dust flying around. A big contradiction to the cold outside. But whatever. I didn't question it. "Upstairs." I pulled her towards an old looking set of steps. The steps were wooden and some were unstable. I gently eased my foot onto the first step and heard a loud creaking sound.

Monica let out a heavy breath as the groans reached the building we were in. Sometimes I questioned things like this. Zombies had milky white eyes. Did that mean they were blind or something? Could they smell us? Or was some other supernatural factor involved? So many questions. And yet no answers whatsoever.

Monica bolted up the stairs as banging sounds began coming from the front door of the building. "Screw hiding. They already know we're here."

I nodded. "Yeah." And I followed behind her.

Monica reached the top of the stairs and opened a door. "In here."

I followed her inside. Pausing as I glanced around the room. A bedroom. On the bed was a groaning zombie. A knife stuck in it's throat, causing a bloody gurgle sound every time it groaned.

Monica shook her head. "Poor guy." She saw a crumbled note in it's hand. "Guess he couldn't take the pressure and he...".

"That could be us soon. Let's hurry." I quickly grabbed the knife from it's throat and stuck it between it's eyes before it could grab my wrist. "Alright. Now what?" I glanced outside and saw about twenty zombies. "Most of them kept walking. Lucky us." I told Monica.

"As lucky as we can be." She stared down at them. "They're gonna break the door down soon. And we won't be able to hold them off with just a knife."

"Oh. Yes we can." I smirked at her. "Or rather, I can."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked in confusion.

I looked down for a moment. Am I really gonna do this? Can I? Will doing this make me that Witch's pawn again? Do I really need to use her gift? Or curse or power. Whatever you want to call it. I slowly looked up. If it keeps Monica safe. Then I'll do anything. I laid my hand on her shoulder. "Monica."

"Elizabeth?" She blinked.

I placed my hand on her shoulder and let go of her wrist. "It's not my business to rule over how you live your life. To force you to be a certain way. Someone used to do that to me. And I hated every moment of it. So this is just a small hope of mine. I want you to be free. Live your life however you want to without a care in the world. And don't let other people bring you down." I smiled at her. "You're way too cute to ever look sad." I leaned forward slowly and pressed a gentle kiss on her lips.