Episode 4: Harsh Reality (Part 2)

Charlie's Pov One Hour Later
I stared at the wall. Holding Nathan close as he cried. Normally, the boy would have chopped off my fingers if I'd tried under any other circumstances. But now, he was in extreme emotional pain. And so was I. The only thing keeping me going was the fact that these kids needed me. Lucas too. Jacob's Grandfather was whispering to him as the boy cried for his father. All this crying and noise would just attract more things we didn't want finding us. As emotionally drained as we all were, if we didn't supress our feelings, we'd just die next.

"Nathan. I n-need you to calm down. I'm sure he's in a better place now." I patted his head.

Nathan's green eyes glanced up at me. His bottom lip trembled and he shivered at the contact. He looked like a small hurt puppy. He must have felt strong despair. If Tom were here, he would have mentioned a girl named Junko or something. What did she have to do with despair, I'd never know.

"Please. You have to be strong. He wouldn't want you to die and visit him in heaven so soon." I smiled, but it was empty. There was nothing to be happy about.

"......I always wanted to know who held his attention. Who his heart desired. And why life had to be so cruel. Now I'll never know."

I tilted my head. "Nathan....did you like your brother?" I asked.

He moved away from the hug. "And what if I did? I don't know anymore. He told me what I felt was false. That I didn't know true love and was confused because of the past." His voice was miserable.

"We're mostly the same then." I sighed. "I was in love with Zeke too. I went through a long period of time wondering if I was a mistake. Or that my feelings were wrong. It reached a really bad point where I considered doing bad things to myself. But that kind of thinking is selfish. Alex begged me to live on. So that's what I'll do."

Nathan nodded at me. "I don't know what I'll do yet. A part of me is denying Cody being gone. But a bigger part of me just feels really hollow. And empty." He walked over and sat on the dirty floor. He wasn't wearing shoes either. None of were. Number One had taken us by surprise. No chance to prepare or get fully dressed. Most of us were in shorts, or no shoes. Or other things like that. Nathan was a mixture of both. He had on red shorts that looked tight, and mismatched socks.

"Do you want another....?"

"I'd just like to be left alone." He said. "Thanks though. The talk helped." He pulled his knees up and buried his face in them.

"O-okay." I nodded. Glancing across the room. Aunty had gone out to look for food. Weapons. And possibly clothes.

It was just Sophia, Jacob, his grandfather, Lucas, Emma, Maxine and Charlotte. Although the last two weren't in the room at all. Actually.... looking around.. Sophia wasn't here as well. Maybe she was in a different part of the building. Maybe.

Jacob waved at me from across the room, his crown on top of his head. "Hey, Charlie."

I walked over to him. "Hey, my little prince. What's up?" I gave him a hug.

"You noticed." He smiled, adjusting the crown and puffing his chest out slightly. His white hair sticking out from under the crown.

"Of course." I felt my stomach growl. "And I'm hungry too. Also noticed that." I smiled at him, ignoring my urge to take a bite from him.

Jacob giggled. "You're funny, big bro."

My eyes widened at that. He considered me his brother? "That's so..sweet." I pulled away from the hug. Glancing over at Emma on the floor. She was coloring something. It looked pretty violent. Whatever it was. "Emma, whatcha doing?"