Chapter 9: Silence and Flashbacks

Your POV
There was a long moment of silence. Silence over everything. It was extremely awkward for Ethan and Grayson, but not for me. My head was too full of thoughts to care. Thoughts about what just happened, thoughts about what would change if I tell them. Thoughts about what to say.

Grayson was driving, while Ethan and I were in the back with nothing but the middle seat to separate us. But there was still silence. Finally, the silence is interrupted by Grayson.

"So, what was all of that about?" Grayson asked awkwardly.

"Grayson!" Ethan hushed him.

"No, no. It's okay." I said with a weak smile.

"You're okay with telling us?" Ethan asked.

I take a deep breath and stare at my shoes, with water filling my eyes. I begin to breath heavily and my nostrils expand due to lack of air. I suddenly feel a warm hand rest on my thigh, and I look towards Ethan, acknowledging his comforting action.

"You know you can tell us anything." They said in sync.

We giggled while I gently wiped my tears with shaky hands. I close my eyes and catch my breath. I open my eyes and nod, letting them know my decision.

"You sure?" Grayson asked.

"Yeah, you don't have to tell us if you're not comfortable." Ethan assured.

"No. It's about time I tell you." I sighed.

"Okay, well we're all ears." Grayson said, giving me a soft smile through the rear view mirror.

"I just-I don't want you guys to treat me different or think of me different because of this...please?" I say with a shaky voice.

They both exchanged glances and nod to each other. They look at me and say "okay."

"I was in the 10th grade when I met the other Ethan. His middle name is Jake, lets call him Jake so there's no confusion." I state.

"Okay." Ethan says and Grayson nods in agreement.

"Well, I met 'Jake' when I was 15, and we were the best of friends. We told each other everything and anything. But little did we know, that we liked each other." I continued.

*___y/n's flashback to 10th grade___*
(Keep in note that I'm gonna call the other Ethan, Jake from now on throughout the book)

Your POV
"Jake!" I yelled.

I can see him pick his head up from the sea of people in the hallway. Once his eyes land on you, he smiles from ear to ear. He waved his hand over his head as far as it could go.

Once I waved back, he slowly moved from the crowd, and walked to me. I nervously placed my hair behind my ear and blush at him. He blushed too, still having the biggest grin on his face.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey." I replied.

"Uh, so do you wanna, umm... Do you wanna get lunch together?" He asked.