Chapter Twelve

Maia wouldn't let Micah leave on his own. Even though he'd explicitly told her he was going alone, she found a bag and stuffed it with all her necessities before running to catch up with Micah who had already said goodbye to their grandparents and was already out the door.

"Maia what are you doing?" Micah hissed, staring at her with narrowed eyes.

Maia rolled her eyes and replied with, "Going with you, duh."

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

"No. You're not."

"Yes. I am."

"It's dangerous."

"My middle name is danger."

"No it's not, it's Ethel."

Maia made an exasperated sound at the back of her throat.

"Okay, so it's not danger. But still. And hey! I thought we agreed to never mention that name. Ever. Walter."

Micah scowled and crossed his arms and glared at his sister.

"Maia."

"Micah."

"Please leave."

"No," Maia ground out, exerting her 'big sister knows better powers' to force Micah into submission.

Finally he huffed, threw his hand up and shouted, "Fine."

Maia clapped gleefully and shot him a big grin to which he rolled his eyes.

They were turning towards the woods until they heard a shrill voice behind them.

"Hey! Hey you guys! Where are ya'll going?"

Micah groaned and shot Maia a look. "Take care of that one," he said before turning around and marching towards the woods.

Harriet finally reached Maia and frowned. "Are you guys seriously going camping without me? How come I didn't get an invite? That's so flickin rude!"

Maia frowned in confusion as she regarded her cousin's choice of "expletive" but nonetheless shook her head and began to talk, "I'm just going to take care of Micah, make sure he's alright. We'll be back in a few days,"

"No. I'm coming with you," Harriet said stubbornly and Maia recalled the 5 minute argument that her and Micah had about the same topic and the outcome of that little tiff.

Maia sighed.

"Really Harriet? You don't even like camping!"

"Well. I don't like being outcasted by my own cousins even more," she said defiantly, pointing her nose to the dark sky, littered with tiny twinkly lights. "Oh. And it's And it's Farrah Maia. Farrah. Kinda like a Sarah with an F, and emphasis on the r's. Like a rrrrr. Sound. Like that sound Perry the Platypus does. Rrrr," she added absentmindedly.

Maia groaned and looked back and panicked. Micah was quickly disappearing into the woods. If she didn't go now, she would lose him.

"Okay Fine. Go get your stuff. I'll wait for you here," she said quickly.

Harriet released an excited squeal which was possibly at a frequency that squirrels and dolphin could relate to.

"I'll be right back!" She shouted and turned before stopping.

"Do you think it would be okay for me to bring my camouflaged heels?" She asked hesitantly.

"Why would you bring heels when you're camping?" Maia asked exasperatedly.

"Forest parties. Duh. But it's fine. I'll pack them anywaaaay."

And with that, Harriet dashed back in the direction of their grandparents home.

Maia considered truly waiting for her cousin but turned towards the direction of the forest and couldn't see Micah anymore.

"I'm sorry Harriet," she whispered to the night and with that, she ran towards the cluster of trees.

———————————————————————-
Short chapter👀

But I hope you guys enjoyed it nonetheless. Please don't forget to comment, vote and share 🌸