The Night We Met // Lord Huron

Before they entered, Mack stopped Barry.

"Okay Barr, you agreed to this, so you gotta play by my rules, alright? Firstly, Drew is my boyfriend. What you're about to walk into right now—and destroy, quite frankly—is the life I've built with him for the last six months based on someone I used to want to be. You have to be aware of that" She explained seriously. It was hard for Barry to process, but he nodded nonetheless.

"You also have to be very respectful of him. No arguing. He's been a very good friend to me and we care about each other, okay?" Mack said the last bit carefully.

"You care for him?" Barry nearly choked.

"Barry, we've been dating for six and a half months. Of course I care for him" Mack sighed.

"But—"

"Before you say anything stupid, I don't love him. You know that. Don't shove it in his face though" She cut him off. Barry swallowed and nodded slowly.

"Secondly, he doesn't know anything of who I really am besides my name. So give me some time to talk to him first. Then I'll come get you" Mack said.

"Okay, I've got this" Barry assured Mack, although his heart-rate felt faster than it had ever been before.

Mack sighed as she looked at the boy stood infront her.

"I know you do" She smiled sadly before pushing the door open and into her home.

Barry was immediately taken aback by the place.

It was exactly the opposite of either of their places in Central City. It was a beautiful light wooded beach house with hanging pendant lights and pictures of her and Drew everywhere. Kissing, on the beach, in cars, with friends. It was like looking into the life of a whole other person. A happy, care-free, very not-Mack person. He ran his fingers along each picture frame with more and more shock and anxiety. Mack looked over at him nervously, but he wanted to prove to her that he could do this.

They then entered the kitchen, where Barry had first seen them kiss. There were knifes and cutting boards and recipe books everywhere. Apparently in her dream life, Mack was a phenomenal cook. Then there was a simple living room, with a huge soft gray sectional couch and wide screen TV set on a mantel with even more pictures. They travelled through the living room and kitchen to the stairway that led upstairs.

"Okay. Stay here. I'm gonna go talk to Drew. Help yourself to anything" Mack said.

Barry noticed that even her voice sounded different in the house, but quickly brushed it off.

Meanwhile, Mack climbed the stairs to their bedroom, where Drew was sat, looking at a picture of them that he held between his strong hands.

"Hey" She said softly from the doorway. He perked up instantly at the sound of her voice.

"Hey. You're okay. Where are the other two?" He asked, standing.

"Cisco went home and Barry is downstairs" Mack answered as she entered the room.

"I'm glad you're okay. So... you're like... a superhero or something?" Drew asked curiously. Mack laughed.

"No. Nothing like that" She lied, "I can conduct electricity because I have a very rare high level of non-lethal iron in my blood that allows me to conduct small electrical currents without getting shocked"

"Oh, that makes much more sense" He chuckled as Mack sat on the bed next to him.

"Indeed. Now that you understand that... there's something really important we need to talk about" She sighed.

There was a pause.

"Barry. He's your friend from Central City right? The boyfriend who thought you were dead?" He asked.

"Yeah" She sighed, "And now he knows I'm... well... not dead" Mack said cautiously.

There was another pause—a silence—before anyone spoke again.

"And you have to go back to him, don't you? Because you love him" Drew sighed.

"I'm sorry" She answered, looking over at him.

"It's okay Mack, I told you once before and I'll say it again: I just want you to be happy" He smiled sadly.

"He does make me really happy, and Central City is my home, with or without him" Mack tried to explain.

"Good" He smiled, this time a more real smile, less sad.

"Promise me you'll move on? You won't wait for me?" Mack said strongly.

"I'll try" He chuckled.

"Good" Mack said as she stood and hugged him.

"Need help packing?" Drew sighed.

"Yeah I guess. I'll grab Barry too" Mack nodded before heading out of the bedroom and down the steps.

In the time she had been gone, Barry had looked at every picture. He was desperately trying to analyze them and figure out what they meant. They seemed so alien, but they were a part of Mack now.

"Don't do that to yourself Barry" Mack said softly from the edge of the stairs. Barry quickly whipped around to face her, surprised that she was back so soon.

"So?" Barry asked, ignoring her comment.

"Help me pack?" She held out her hand.

"Normal speed?" He questioned, a smile spreading across his face.

"Yes" She chuckled.

**********

"Oh that's in the basement, I'll go grab it. Be back soon. Be civil please" Mack mumbled the last part before leaving the two boys alone in the room.

"So... I uh, appreciate you looking after Mack these past few months. She really cares about you" Barry said after a moment of awkward silence.

"Thanks. She really seems to like you too" He chuckled. Barry laughed lightly as well.

"Seriously though man, thanks for being so good about this. I know a lot of guys who would be reacting a lot different right about now" Barry said. In the last two hours or so that they had spent packing up Mack's stuff, the guy had actually grown on Barry. He was funny, charming, strong, fit. He didn't blame Mack for liking him in the slightest.

"Hey, you seem pretty great too. I guess Mack knows how to pick em" He replied and they both laughed.

Mack returned to the room shortly after, a look of relief crossing her face as she saw the boys' calm nature. Barry smiled as she sat back down next to them and the three finished packing.

**********

The next morning Barry and Mack were saying goodbye to Drew as their cab waited in the street. As Barry put the last of their bags in the trunk, Mack said her final goodbye to Drew.

"Thank you Drew, truly, for everything you've done for me" She said as she hugged him.

"Thank you, for teaching me McKenzie. You made me realize that there are some things I need to do, people I should see" Drew admitted.

"Well take it from a professional run-away: it always feels right to go back home" She gave him a small smile.

"Fly safe, and don't forget that you can visit whenever" He smiled back at her.

"Goodbye Drew"

"Goodbye McKenzie"

She waved one last time before entering the taxi and collapsing next to Barry. She sighed, laid her head on his shoulder, and almost instantly fell asleep. Barry smiled and ran his fingers through her hair calmingly.

"To the airport" He told the taxi driver.

And then they were off, back home to Central City.