bitches broken hearts // Billie Eilish

<<<SIX MONTHS AGO>>>

"So you want me to stay in Australia? Forever? Permanently?" Mack frowned, unconvinced.

"Yes. You have a house on the nicest street in the town, a ridiculously expensive car, your old job back. You can build the perfect life here Mackenzie" Wells tried to convince her.

"In what world do you think that I--of all people--want a perfect life?" Mackenzie replied skeptically.

"Mackenzie, please I-"

"Spit it out Wells. You have to tell me what's going on. Or I am getting the next flight home" Mackenzie cut him off.

There was a pause. Wells sighed.

"The Australian government" He conceded with a huff.

"Assholes, I know. What about them?" Mackenzie pressed.

"I was doing some... research... using a few facilities and stolen intel from them. They caught me and are threatening me and my whole operation and everyone on the Team. I've been able to keep it under wraps thus far but I can't keep helping the team when this issue is becoming bigger and bigger" Wells sighed.

"And what does that have to do with me?" Mackenzie asked.

" ... I need a man on the inside" Wells replied.

Mackenzie thought over the idea for a moment.

"So... you withheld a cure for me, and let me die, so that you could have an inside guy in the Australian government? The same government in which I'm on their top ten most wanted list?? For being a supposed genius, you're a special kind of stupid Wells" Mackenzie chuckled dryly.

"You were the answer with no casualties. The perfect candidate" He responded.

"The perfect candidate, actually" A familiar voice rang through her head. She shook it off.

"And what if I say no?" Mackenzie crossed her arms over her chest defensively.

"Then everyone you love in Central City dies"

<<<PRESENT TIME>>>

Mack had been living in Australia for six months now.

A lot had changed.

She was quite a different person.

It had been six months since she had 'died' and left Central City and everyone in it behind her.

Wells only rarely made contact with her, always sounding tired and disheveled when he did. And Mack had no idea what that meant. In fact, she didn't know a lot of things.

Mack was in a strange place. She was back in her homeland, where she had been a hitwoman and a hacker; a completely and utterly broken and lonely person. But returning to that person didn't feel right. That was the old Mackenzie. However, she also wasn't the fantasy Mackenzie she had become in Starling: the untouchable girl with a weak spot for the Queens. And as much as she wanted to be, she wasn't Barry's Central City, sacrificial, superhero Mackenzie anymore either, or she would've been back home a long time ago. 

There was nothing particularly keeping Mack in Australia, but she felt like she could never go back to Central City, so she stayed put, and now that she was in Australia and back from the dead, she was lost, and had resorted to becoming a new Mackenzie.

This Mackenzie was static. Mack became non-chalante, unattached, and simple; always doing what was simply in her own best interest. She resumed her work as a hitwoman for the Australian secret service under a new identity, recovered files and intel for Wells, took out people who got to close to figuring it all out. Her dis-attachment is what made her dangerous, her utter disregard for human wellbeing. She wasn't intentionally cruel. She wasn't sadistic. She just couldn't bring herself to care.