Assault

Sasha sounded like a feed mentor, equal parts financial guru and Western zen monk. "Crowd comes with many interactive tutorials on getting your finances right. Everything from setting up a monthly budget to asset allocation."

"Are they mandatory?"

Rain had to chime in. "Nothing on Crowd is mandatory."

Sasha darted at her for a micro-second. A not-so-subtle gesture for telling her not to interfere with his conversation.

Rain put her curiosity and desire on passive mode.

Sasha said, "Going below three might seem drastic at first, but I want to let you know that Crowd offers many opportunities to up your ranking again. Do the bonus challenges to get extra Creds. Do community events and be useful."

Sasha winked at Rain, an invitation to finally add her thoughts.

"The beauty of Crowd is that nothing is permanent, not even a bad credit score. If you follow our suggestions and you go over three or even get a three point five, you're back."

Graham nodded and leaned forward. "Listen, you might think I'm all desperate because I ain't living in the fancy Kennedy Hills anymore, but I'm fine. Seriously. I'm not homeless. I got my own apartment, run a little online biz on the side and got enough of my devices to pretend I'm rich."

Did Rain detect a hint of self-deprecation?

Another shot echoed outside.

Graham sighed. "Granted, it isn't the hottest neighborhood, but like you said, things change. Only a matter of time before the students and yuppies move in and turn Esperanza into another Californian Brooklyn."

It was good to see Graham be positive about his recent change. Something about his calmness seemed fake though.

"So you have some sources of income right now?" she asked.

"I'm doing a little online biz. I talk to some folks in the area and help out wherever I can."

Rain and Sasha exchanged a glance.

"Nah, not dealing. Jeez. Believe it or not, but Esperanza's not just a dumpster fire. Some folks around here want to improve the community."

He looked out the windows and seemed to tap into his memory. "To be frank, the folks around here a lot of more real than those botox bitches back in the Hills." He pointed his thumb toward his door. "I'd trade a burrito-selling mother over a Barbie clone anytime."

Sasha nodded. "If you have any questions concerning your ranking, ping us."

"Will do." He got up and showed them back to the door. "Thanks for visiting, I really appreciate it. And sorry for the rough greeting. I'm a bit grouchy in the morning."

"No worries," Rain said, moving toward the door. "We're looking forward to hearing from you."

"Cool."

Graham closed the door with a smile.

Rain took a deep sigh and walked down the stairs with Sasha. His eyes pierced right through her. "Your body brimmed with energy."

"I was just wondering...Graham was fairly relaxed about his downgrading."

"Continue."

"I mean, he lost his comfortable lifestyle in the hills. He's deep into debt and now lives in one of the most dangerous areas of the city."

Rain pretended to be in Graham's shoes. "If that would have happened to me, I would have freaked out."

"Maybe he did, and that's his way of coping."