Recruitment

The next day at college, Rain connected with her peers in the cafeteria and unleashed a round of compliments. The school's recruiter would soon interview everyone about employment options, based on their rank and finals scores.

Rain's stomach area buzzed with electricity. She smiled and focused on her student friends.

Jin, a fellow student, greeted her with a half-bow. "You've been sooo inspirational, Rain. Thank you for helping me out."

"Thank you, Jin. I enjoyed studying with you."

Rain thanked everyone in the round.

Bows and bright smiles exchanged.

When teachers passed the gossiping groups, the students straightened up and greeted their superiors with a serious face. As soon as the teacher passed, the gossiping reignited.

Rain picked out Quinn. "What kind of position are you looking for?"

"Something outdoors, preferably in nature. Maybe a park ranger or ranch manager."

"You're ranking is high enough. I have no doubt the Crowd chooses the right path for you."

"Do you think?"

"I'm positive. The world needs more helpers with a heart as kind as yours."

A smile beamed on Quinn's flat face. He prepared for the hug but stopped halfway through. "Is it okay?"

"Go ahead."

Even after all their sessions together, one had to ensure consent to touch each other. Rain approved, so Quinn hugged her tight. "If I'm squeezing too much, tell me."

"Don't worry about it."

Close body contact proved a challenge, but today marked a special moment. The college committee updated on everyone's comm channel with a confirmative beep. The urgent message read: "Congrats, students. Your final scores have been evaluated. You're now ready to serve. Please attend the recruitment office immediately."

Rain took a deep breath and pondered the moment. The next ten minutes would decide her next years.

"Ready?"

Quinn sweated but oozed his confident smile. He took charge of the student group and guided them around the packed cafeteria. They summoned the lift near the elevated to the third floor.

In front of the recruitment office, Rain crossed her fingers and expressed a nervous smile. Her student friends fumbled with their gear, walked around or scratched their skin. Tension charged the air like a power pack. Rain ignored the shiver of her hands and power posed, which she had learned in class.

"Good luck everyone. May you receive the position that serves our city the most."

The calling started. Within a couple of minutes, Rain's name sounded over her comm channel. With the advance of administrative AI, bureaucracy gave way for efficiency. Long waiting periods became a relic from the ancient pre-Crowd days.

"Rain Cruzada."

The intonation hit like a buzz baton. Rain stood up, marched toward the door and wiped her sweaty palm on her clothes. A useless action, since the nano-fiber suit was water repellent and dirt-resistant. Quinn glanced from the corridor bench and pressed his thumbs up. He mouthed a silent 'You Can Do It'. Rain thanked him in silence and waved the door open. She marched toward the recruitment officer throning in her elevated chair. The digital tag next to her head read: "Recruitment officer Delayne."

She ranked 3.8

"Please sit down, Rain Cruzada."

Rain didn't know whether she should shake hands or bow. To avoid conflict, she bowed halfway and planted her butt toward the empty chair.

I have to keep a calm demeanor, she told herself. If I act like a desperate freshman, I can still ruin my test score. Impressions mattered, even this late in the testing process. Eight years of proper school conduct and fours at the college would be wasted. Rain couldn't, no, she wouldn't allow this to happen.

The recruitment officer eyed her profile on her terminal and wiped through the menus like a bored librarian.

"You've built quite the record, Rain."

Was that a question? An invitation to speak up? Rain was confused, so she replied with a polite nod. The recruiter's eyes stayed fixated on Rain's psychological profile. Every second pounded like a cybernetic sledgehammer.

"Your psychological assessments rank highly, just like your theoretical test results. Your Crowd rank is higher than ninety-five percent of your fellow students."

Rain nodded but hid her smile. She hated to boast, especially in front of others.

"The Crowd job matchmaker has suggested the following areas of employment."

Rain's heart hammered. Harder.

She experienced problems sitting up straight while her forehead produced a never-ending sea of sweat. She probably reddened, too, and hoped the recruiter wouldn't notice it.

"Crowd News department."

Cool.

As long as Rain was able to work with other people. She loved the news, and Crowd's own news section provided necessary information about the city and its many problems.

The recruiter continued. "Assistant teacher at colleges affiliated with Crowd."

An even better choice. Rain loved being in college and talking to students and teachers alike. She could bring change and educate young folks about new ways to solve the world's most pressing issues.

But there was more.

"Special Advisor in the Santa Kahlo area."

Rain's daydreaming streak stopped.

"What's that?"