Crowded News

Camryn swiveled in his ergo chair, surrounded by his technological office walls, dimmed to 50%. He could see his employees and they could see him, which was the idea.

Be as transparent as the network.

Because branding wasn't just a cool 3D logo of Crowd, it was everything.

Every message sent.

Every meeting.

Every time Camryn opened his mouth and looked at an employee.

He played the holographic version of the newsfeed and drank a mate lemonade from Germany, but licensed to be produced in the city. The golden liquid tasted like bitter tea with a shot of organic cane sugar.

A snippet with Mayor Diego Lunar popped in. "Once again, these Red Block thugs have invaded private property for their own selfish gains. They have attacked our men and women in the police who were just doing their job. I've said it a hundred times and I say it again; you can't make peace with those savages." The mayor's wet speech doubled in volume. "They're too stupid to get a real job so they rage war against our hard-working citizens." He upped his voice with more maleness. "Now imagine how this city will look if pot-smoking Jessie Kwong wins. Burning streets. Riots in your neighborhood.  Armed robbery." He paused for dramatic effect. "We will witness a second civil war."

Camryn chuckled and grabbed a load of gummy bears, mostly red ones. Despite Diego's faults, and he had many, his responses were always entertaining. It was impossible to fall asleep when he spoke.

The news host took over again. "In response to the last incidences involving the Red Block, Mayor Lunar enacts a curfew after nine o'clock in Esperanza. Citizens who violate the curfew and walk outside after nine o'clock will be subject to arrest."

Camryn grinned. At this stage, he could read Diego's mind like an open source text file.

Senator and mayor candidate Jessie Kwong voiced her strong resistance against the Mayor's curfew. "This is the absolute wrong response. The riots are just a symptom of social injustice. Instead of addressing this underlying issue, Lunar is militarizing the police force with high-tech weapons. That brutal approach belongs to the medieval ages." Her hands tore through her ashen-black hair. She addressed the audience in front of her. "The last thing we need now is more police violence. We need compassion and grassroots solutions to help the disconnected. When I become mayor, I will—"

Camryn mumbled under his breath.

Jessie Kwong surely believed in her chances. Well, her choices ranked higher than the mess Diego produced.

Camryn wanted to watch the whole debate when someone knocked on his door.

"Camryn?" Lory asked outside the office.

"Come in."

The door parted sideways. She wore a cute coat with a ponytail. Shy but straight, a rare trait.

"I hope I'm not disturbing."

"At least not as disturbing as the news." Camryn tilted his head. "Tell me what's on your mind."

"Eden Yung just has been fired."

"Eden?"

Her eyes narrowed. She tip-toed forward and touched her left arm. "The young reporter who interviewed you during the CaliTech event?"

"Ahh, the feisty one."

"She's been fired from Bloomer Media."

"Looks like her own nastiness caught up with her."

"Her firing has nothing to do with you buying fifty-one percent of Bloomer Media?"

Camryn leaned back in his office chair. He grabbed five red gummy bears and strategically placed them into his mouth. "You sound like an FBI agent."

"Crowd already has its news channels."

"I bought the Bloomer stocks from my personal money. Besides, I love, love, LOVE Bloomer and thought it was terribly mismanaged. Those old hacks still don't understand modern audiences."

"I was just curious about the Eden part. She's one of my favorite tech reporters and since I both connected you two, I—"

She stopped and tried to keep the eye contact.

Camryn straightened up in his chair. "Do you really believe I'd fire someone because of a 'tough' interview."

He used air quotes to hammer home the point.

Lory stuttered. "I don't know...no, I don't, I think."

Camryn leaned forward and interlocked his hands. His second favorite pose. "If Eden learns a bit more about respect and manners, I'm sure she'll find an employer."

"Maybe she can work for our tech news section?"

Camryn swallowed. He shifted around his chair. "I think all positions are filled."

"I know Jane just left her position because of maternity leave."

"Lory, I have so much stuff on my head, I don't know about every position of all the sub-divisions."

Lory hurried toward his desk and showed the vacant position of the Crowd Tech News team. "Look, they even have a job posting. They're explicitly looking for a female reporter with years of tech experience."

"So you're part-timing as a headhunter now."

"I just want to help her. And Crowd, of course."

The temperature in the office increased. Or maybe Camryn's shirt started itching. "I don't make hiring decisions for the news team."

"But you're the CEO. Your voice carries weight."

Camryn ground his teeth. "I don't like nepotism, Lory. It's the opposite of what Crowd stands for. Let the news team make their own decision with the help of our algorithm. End of debate."

Lory's shoulders slumped.

Her face froze.

Words crumbled out like a broken robot sample. "Before I forget, you have a virtual meeting with two Chinese investors in ninety-four minutes. And don't forget tomorrow's meet-up with Truxton tomorrow. It's been preponed by an hour."

"Thank you, Lory."

She half-bowed before leaving his office with downed shoulders. Camryn dimmed the walls to eighty percent and focused on his terminal setup again. The screen reflected his cheek-breaking grin.