33- The Breakup

33- The Breakup

Alex's POV

When I wake up the second time, I remember more, and mutter to myself "That little -"

I get cut off by John walking in on me, asking, "For real this time, are you okay?"

"No," I mutter, "Nah. I'm fine. Just you know, throbbing head, that feels like somebody tried to kill me. Oh, wait."

John grins, and it is nice to see his smile. God, I am never going to get tired of that smile.

Suddenly, his smile fades, and he says "Alex. We need to talk."

I suddenly get worried. What is going on? This isn't like John. Something is up. "What is going on?"

"Just......" He takes a deep breath, and blurts out, "I think we should break up."

Everything fades. All the sounds blur together. I can't hear anything that John is saying. I can't feel anything. Everything turns white, and I say quietly, "get out."
He asks, "What?"

"Get. Out. Now." I say louder, then my voice fades, "Just. I need a minute. Just stay with Laff and Herc for the night, okay?"

John nods and quietly grabs his shoes, coat, and phone. He walks out the door.

I walk into the still undecorated bedroom, holding back tears. The walls here are thin, and I can't let anybody hear me cry.

After a while, I see John's stuffed turtle, and I can't help letting out a silent sob.
I can't do this. I was crushed when I had to leave him the first time. I can't do this again. I love John, and he just threw everything away like it was nothing. I can't do this anymore.

I sit on my bed, sobbing.

John's POV

I it on the bench outside of our dorms crying silently. I can't do this. Alex is never going to forgive me. He won't understand that I am doing this to protect him.

I can't tell him. He will try attacking my dad or something.

Alex really is non-stop, I think to myself wistfully.

I would rather somebody else have him than he gets hurt again. I love him too much. Don't get me wrong, it is going to hurt like heck, but I can't let him get hurt. I can't

A few minutes of silent crying later, I see 2 figures. One is tall, dark skinned with large, curly hair. Jefferson. The other one is slightly shorter, with short hair. Madison. Great.

I walk up to them.

"What do you think you are doing?"

Jefferson smirks. "What?" he says.

"You know what, you -" I yell, and Madison cuts me off.

"Let's keep this clean for the parents of the writer."

"Huh?" Jefferson and I say
"Beside the point." Jefferson continues, "What were you going to say, little Laurens? What about your little boyfriend?"

I think about Alex and wince, "beside the point. Have you been working with a Henry Laurens?"

"Yep." Jefferson looks proud and crosses his arms in self-assurance.

I turn on my heel, stalked away. After a minute, I hear some huffing and puffing with interjections of coughing. I turn around and see that Madison is running towards me, holding a tissue to his mouth. I feel bad that the guys are always sick, but he is a jerk by association.

"Wait." He says, breathless.

"I don't want to hear anything that you have to say," I respond coldly.

"Just hear me out. That would be enough."

I cross my arms, "okay."

"Jefferson is not a bad guy."

I let out a tight-lipped laugh.

"Really. He is not," says James defensively. "He just. He and I were raised in Virginia......."

"And that has to do with.....?" I ask.

"Virginia is a very homophobic state (AN, sorry to anybody who lives in Virginia. I just need something to use). It is traditional, and just.....well."

"So, you expect me to forgive him for beating up my boyfriend, on behalf of my dad, just because he was raised rich, and is scared of gay people?" I spit.

"No...." He fades off.

"Well, what then?"

"He.......got kicked out by his parents when they found out that he was...."

"Are you saying what I think?"

"Ya."

"Wow." I sit down on a bench. "Are you two dating?"

Madison blushes, and says "no."

"But you want to?"

"Maybe?" more blushing.

I grin, feeling a pang of pain in my chest, remembering Alex.
I stand up, "I can't do this. We worked with my dad, and hurt Alex. I had to break up with him, because I am so worried that something like that will happen again, with my dad going after him."

I start to walk away, but I feel a hand on my shoulder, and turn back around sighing. "Thomas needed the money. That's why he did it. I didn't excuse what he did, but......well, it's an explanation. I just thought you should know."

I nod, and walk away, to Lafayette, and Mulligan.

Okay guys, 2 things.

One, I am reading Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton, and it is AMAZING. Dense and confusing, but AMAZING.

Two, OH MY GOODNESS YOU GUYS!! 850 VEIWS. WHAT THE HECK. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING. SERIOUSLY!! 

But really, thank you guys so much!