{Eleven} Vow

I stared up at him, my mouth parted in shock. It seemed he'd almost said it so many times, but never had. Was it so crazy to have thought this would be different? Yet here we stood, the truth hovering between us, and I couldn't say a word. Not a goddamn word.

Every wife-to-be wants to know her future husband loves her. So why did the confession make my mouth so wordlessly dry? I'd said it to him, many times, easily. Yet hearing it...it was everything to me. Any sliver of doubt I'd ever felt over our relationship, our future, had vanished in those three words.

Slowly, my lips drew back in a wide grin. "I know you do," I whispered on a breath.

His hand on my lower back pulled me closer to him. "Always," he murmured, resting his forehead to mine. "Since the day I met you."

Tears welled up in my eyes, my throat tightening. I wasn't used to this with Cap. He was always so hard and tough around me. I always knew he was looking out for me, he had since day one, but he didn't know it like the guys in my time did. He didn't give me flowers or hold my hand or tell me how beautiful I was every chance he could get. Instead, he took on the world for me—to protect me. He'd taken literal bullets for me.

I didn't think Cap was a changed man. He would still try to protect me instead of letting me help. My role in this world was much different, I understood that. He would still follow his father into this feud and take down as many McCoys as he could. But to me...to me he was standing here telling me he'd always loved me, and he was holding me gently in his arms like he was afraid I'd disappear—again.

"I wanna marry you to keep ya safe," he said for the millionth time. "But I gotta marry you to make ya mine."

My heart stopped completely. It wasn't for nothing, leaving everything behind to be with him. I'd known it before, but now I was even more sure. Whatever happened here—if the feud took us both—I didn't care. I'd face anything by his side, and proudly. I still worried about our future, of the future that had never changed for Cap. If I had to kill Tolbert McCoy myself to keep Cap safe, I'd do it. I would never let anyone hurt him. I'd rather die than let Cap die in a bar by the hands of Tolbert.

"I want to be yours," I whispered, reaching my arms around his neck. "Forever." Before he could say any more, I kissed him deeply. "Let's go. Now."

His mouth pulled back in his signature smirk before his lips fell back on mine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jim and Johnse were not easily convinced.

Of course, Jim was the loudest, and longest, protestor of the union. He mentioned, only a handful of times, how his nephew was throwing his life away on "some girl he only wanted because he couldn't have." Cap, to his credit, stayed silent and heard the old man out. And when Jim finally seemed like he was done, completely red in the face, Cap told him to take Tolbert off to the farm and see what Anse wanted to do with him.

Jim was furious.

He'd gone stomping off to readjust his saddle, fuming under his breath the whole time.

Johnse stuck behind. He cast a look at his uncle, still swearing a storm, before he muttered to Cap, "I hope ya know what you're doin."

Cap just narrowed his eyes at him.

I wasn't sure if it was out of respect or just knowing there was no use in fighting, but with a final nod Johnse took off after his uncle.

"An there ain't no time fer a goddamned honeymoon!" Jim bellowed after he mounted his horse. "An tell ya somethin' else, boy, I ain't waitin' fer ya ta come tell ya pappy bout what ya done." He pointed accusingly at his nephew. "Yer walkin' into'a hellstorm!"