Chapter o n e

So, this is how the story begins. Not with a special girl who finds love by spilling coffee. Not with someone who has a hard past, and only her friends can save her. Not with someone who's popular but is crumbling on the inside. This begins with me, Amy, and I'm not sure how this will end, not yet at least. I'm just as unaware as you dear reader, and my reactions will not have been crafted by some schoolgirl longing to write an adventure story. This story is my reality, and I don't have any more control over this as you do. I might make a stupid decision that changes my life. And if I'm getting poetic here, doesn't every choice change your life in some way. I guess that I'm probably rambling now as I do in real life. So, let it begin.

I wake up with a jolt, and my eyes flash open. I turn off my alarm on my phone giving a sigh. My clock reads 7:10, or I think that's the time. I can't see well yet. I go back to bed, and I wait for my other alarms to wake me up. I like to set multiple alarms because that way I have more time to sleep, and I'm glad I don't have to get up.

-

I wake up again, rolling my eyes as I realize my final alarm is going off. I'm not a morning person. I don't yell at people to go away; I don't have anyone who would even want to wake me up. My mother doesn't yell at me to wake up and throw water on me. Not in the real world. It's hard to believe, but some people actually get ready on their own.

I leave the warmth of my twisted covers and sit up to get ready for the day. My heart gives a leap as I remember what is happening today. I'm getting married. No, just kidding. I'm starting my new job as an officer.

The only downside to my training as an officer, was that there was a physical part of it. A year ago, I didn't go to the YMCA ever. My mom wanted me to go with her, but I refused almost every time. I didn't want to do little kicks to music that went out of style months ago. Grudgingly at first, I started going to the YMCA.

I stayed in the workout room and stayed far away from the Zumba and Kick boxing. I'd prefer to work out with actual machines. No one paid attention to me in there. I was just another random person sweating to them.

I once read that it takes a month for a habit to stick. I think that they were talking about things like flossing and cleaning your room. It certainly didn't apply to me when I was working out at first. I was around five months in of sweating daily when I just did it. It wasn't that I enjoyed it, I never will, it was that it did become a habit. It's just what I did every weekday from 6-8 PM.

I wanted to be in shape for my job. I wasn't going to be slothful anymore. I was ready for a change instead of being at home. Plus, I actually met some people. Jessica was the definition of what I didn't want to be. I don't mean it as in personality wise, I meant it as in working out for four hours running and strengthening her legs. After months of working out, I only put the treadmill up to the ninth level. She had it going at the maximum speed for twice the time I did.

She told me the fourth time I met her, she was a semi-popular athlete planning to run a Marathon. If you don't know how long that is, its 26.2 miles. I had to look it up how long it was secretly as she started running on the treadmill. There was no way I'd become what this girl was. A running master.

We were as different as could be, but there was a point where I connected with her. That was in our love for reading. If I talked a few sentences about a new book I found, she's knew of it and has already read the entire series. She, unlike me, does know a publisher, so she gets all the good books before me. In fact, the owner of the publishing company was one of her many roommates. My eyes go back into focus as I realize I've been staring at the wall thinking for 5 minutes.

I take my cold feet out of bed and walk half blind to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror, best I can with my eyesight, and put my contacts in. No, they're not the things on your phone. Contacts are what blind people like me wear, if they don't want to constantly have to push their glasses up. I tried glasses and switched to contacts when I got several volleyballs to the face.