Chapter t w o

I go up to the door with people still filing in and out, and open it. I walk towards one of the two desks that look like reception. As I'm walking past all of the desks, I notice how chaotic this place seems. People are throwing papers on their coworkers desks, some are chatting, and others have an annoyed look on their face like their case isn't going well.

I get jerked from my staring when someone starts to walk towards me. He's shuffling around papers in a stack, not paying attention. It's too late for me to get out of the way, and I try to yell "Hey watch out", but it's no use. He runs into me, and papers go everywhere as I fall on my butt. My palms get skinned and I roll my eyes. Just my luck to get skinned palms on the day I said I didn't want them.

The man is looking at me now, and I ignore him as I start to gather his papers for him. I put them all back in the stack, and stand up as I hold them out for him to take. He has brown hair that's gelled back, and blue eyes that flash around taking in all of me.

"I'm sorry officer," I say. "I'm actually not a clumsy person." He keeps staring at me, and it really starts to freak me out. Then, his hands start moving everywhere at a mile a minute. I look at him confused, and he rolls his eyes.

He motions for me to follow him, and I walk towards his desk. We go past all of the desks, and start to walk towards the captains office. Was he really going to report me for bumping into him? People these days.

He opens the door and takes out a marker and a white board. I haven't seen a white board that small since junior high. I snicker to myself as he starts to write on it.

'Chief' he writes on the white board. I'm confused about what it says until I remember the only words I said to him. I said, sorry officer. I internally give myself a slap, and want to leave this building as I realize that he is the leader of the police force.

I look at the nameplate that is on his desk and that confirms it. It reads 'Chief Jones.' Crap. I give a weak, sheepish smile at him, and start to speak.

"So, I'm Amy Lugbill. I'm the newest recruit to your force." He looks down at his file, twitching his nose when he realizes who I am. He writes back 'I know', and I realize why he has the white board with him. He can't speak.

"My apologies again, Chief." I say and he gets an amused smile on his face. He shrugs his shoulders in a 'don't worry about it' way. He goes over to his computer, and opens his email. He sends an email to one of his workers, and closes it before I can see what he wrote.

He gestures for me to sit down on the strange, green couch in his office. He completely ignores me and starts to reorganize his papers. I rub my arms feeling weird about just sitting here.

A wisp of a girl bursts into the room, and gives Jones a smile. "Hey Chief," she said grinning at him.

"You wrote." She said. He motioned for her to sit down, and she plopped down on the couch next to me. She completely ignored the captain as she reached out to shake my hand.

"Morgan Lawson," she said with a grin. "I'm guessing that you're Amy." I nod my head, and shake her hand back.

The only thing I can think about right now, is how much shorter Morgan is than me. I laugh silently to myself and reply, "Amy Lugbill. Nice to meet you." She smiles at me and brushes some of her long blond hair out of her eyes.

"According to Chief Jones," she said. "You are going to be my new partner. I can't tell you what the assignment is though. If I did, I'd have to kill you." Even Jones snickered at that, amused at our strange conversation.

"I'll show her the ropes, Chief." She said, and before anyone could say anything, she was dragging me over to her desk. I realized that our desks were in the very corner of the room, and it was a bit more secluded.