Chapter e l e v e n

Augustus ^

Amy P. O. V.

I walk into the kitchen to see Zoë and Cameron sitting on the couch. Ali, Morgan, and Jess are sitting at the table with Chiamaka. 

"Hello, world." I say, stretching my arms over my head. Jess glares at me. Sheesh, what crawled up her butt and died?

"Hey, Amy." Zoë says. 

"Hey, are we doing anything today?" I ask.

"Well, we have work, idiot." Morgan says.

"I mean after, dumbee." I retort.

"We're going on a trip." Cameron says. We all look at him, confused.

"We're going to Orange Beach for the weekend, and yes, Ella approved of it." We all started to jump and squeal excitedly, minus Jessica.

Morgan looks at the time on her phone. "Hurry up and get your uniform on," she says to me. "We have to leave in ten minutes." Crap!

I rush to get my uniform on, and slip out of my pajamas. 

"I'll be in the car." I hear Morgan say. I hurriedly brush my teeth, and run a brush through my hair. I rush outside, almost tripping over the steps. 

As I get into the car, Morgan is snickering at me almost falling on my face. I buckle my seat belt, and she pulls out of the driveway.

We arrive at the station, and I see that we're ten minutes late. As I walk into the building, Jones is standing there with his eyebrows raised. He taps his watch at me. I pace over to my desk, rolling my eyes when he can't see me.

I look over my shoulder, and see Morgan entering the building. They smile at each other, and Morgan walks over to the desk across from mine.

"So," I start. "How long have you been dating?" I inquire, jokingly.

"Dating? Uh- no, we're employee and boss," she says nervously. "Unfortunately." She adds to herself, but I hear her clear as day. I smile to myself. I'm sure Ella will be excited on the news of their relationship.

Speaking of Ella, what about her and that guy Adam that drove her to work today? Are they a thing, or is he a fling? I really don't know much about these people, but I'll interrogate Ella on the drive to Orange Beach. That is, if Cameron wasn't spouting bologna like he normally does.

I groan at the amount of paperwork that awaits me, and I narrow my eyes, confusedly, at a purple folder that lays on my desk. I pick it up, curiously, and Morgan's eyes widen at the sight of it. 

"Where did you get that?" She asks me.

"It was on my desk."

"We normally don't get those," she tells me. "Normally, the head members of the squad get to do all the fun stuff." 

"Fun stuff?" I ask her.

"Murders, arson, the usual," She replies, shrugging. "Now that I've said it, I realize how weird that sounds." She pauses. "In that folder is a case that we get to take on because we're partners. I guess Jones- I mean the captain, decided to test your skills." She looked over towards Jones's office. 

He seemed to be looking off into space, but he was staring directly at Morgan. It wouldn't surprise me if he was daydreaming about her.

She grins at him and he jerks out of his gaze, returning the smile. They're so cute together. Kinda like Zoë and Cameron.