Chapter s e v e n

Fire is destruction

Fire does not cease,

and though I try to pin it down

there is some fire in me.

- Anonymous

Ella gags at the sight of vomit on the floor. I've never been the squeamish one, but even I felt nauseous at the sight of them. Morgan consoles the girls, and Ella reassures them that they can stay at the house. It's not as if there's not enough space for them.

"I need to see it," Chiamaka says. "One last time, before I never go back there again." Ali nods in agreement. Jess, surprisingly sympathetic, offers to drive them over. They're still in shock of what has happened.

Everyone is silent as the two girls follow after Jessica, tears still in their eyes. I walk after them, wanting to get my swimsuit off. The news still hadn't sunk in for me, and my swimsuit was starting to get itchy from lack of chlorine.

I manage to find my way to my room, and quickly change into casual clothes. I go back outside, and find the patio is almost empty. Jones and Morgan have retreated to who knows where, and Ella is no where to be seen. Zoë and Cameron are the only ones still outside.

Zoë seems in shock still, and Cameron is speaking quietly. His reassuring smile even gives me hope.

He pauses as he looks up at me, and he immediately continues consoling Zoë. I don't even have the happiness to make a witty comment about their cuteness.

I sit on the edge of the patio, trying to escape the whispers of Cameron's voice to Zoë. The wind makes my wet hair cold, and I hug my arms around myself. It is completely silent after a while, and all three of us sit by the pool. There's nothing much to do when something goes wrong. All you can do is wait.

My eyes close, and the sun lulls me into an uneasy sleep. I never truly drift off, my mind racing at the thoughts of Ali and Chiamaka.

I'm snapped out of my daze when Ella sits down on the chair next to me.

"This is the worst." She says, her voice trembling. I nod.

"Ali and Chiamaka don't deserve this." I reply.

All four of us look up as we hear the glass door slide open. Ali and Chiamaka walk out with Jessica in their wake. They look disheveled and utterly defeated. I can't imagine what thoughts are going through their head.

Jessica's voice starts up, "Ella, can we go get them clothes, and put it on the card?"

"Sure" Ella says, gently. She puts a soft smile on her face, more for her own sake than Ali and Chiamaka's.

Jess nods, and ushers the stupefied girls back into the house. Jess is right to keep them busy, because they're going to break down if their minds wander too much.

"I'm not coming in with you." I hear Jess say, jokingly. I was right in thinking she wasn't the shopping type.

The pool falls silent as the girls leave. I look at the clock on the house's wall, and see it reads 5:49 PM. I realize that I need to do something to distract myself.

"Come on." I say to everyone. They all snap out of their daze. I've never seen Cameron so quiet in the short time I've known him. That's what unsettles me most of all.

They all follow me into the kitchen, and I Google a spaghetti recipe. Ella's kitchen is full to the brim with ingredients, and I give an internal sigh of relief. I don't like to grocery shop.