1981

Year 1981, in the beautiful New York. It's been already eight months since the youngest daughter of the Hwangs got married with a handsome Thai man. They were so in love with each other, nothing mattered. They were so adorable together, that's what people keep saying. Stephanie was a 23 years old happy woman, whose husband was a pilot. Because of his job he rarely was home, so Stephanie was all alone. Even when he was home, their relationship became cold. They rarely talk and Nichkhun would get angry very fast, so they argue most of the time instead of talking like a normal married couple would do. She had friends, but they couldn't fill the emptiness inside her heart. Jessica was one close friend to her, they always hang out together. Jessica never liked Nichkhun because even though he was so sweet, something was very wrong with him. She told Stephanie many times, but the woman would always take his part.

"He's an asshole. I've told you many times before." Jessica tried reasoning with her friend, but unfortunately she failed.

"He's not. He's just very busy and stressed because of his job." Again. Jessica just huffed in annoyance at this expired excuse.

"Are you sure he's even working?" This question angered Stephanie almost immediately.

"You're my friend, Jessie, but stop saying things that aren't real." Jessica sighed and sipped from her dark tea. Stephanie did the same, but that question kept lingering inside her head.

In the next days, Nichkhun came back home, but this time not alone. He came with a woman. Stephanie was taken aback by the new quest. The woman was just the same height as her, with long jet black hair tied in a pony tail, pale skin, and round onyx eyes. In other words, she was breath taking. She wore the same uniform as Nichkhun, a dark grey suit and pilot hat.

"Stephanie, this is Erika Kim, my close fellow." Stephanie cringed from the insides at their closeness. But she saw how bored Erika looked when Nichkhun threw his arm over her broad shoulders. Stephanie smiled shyly and they shook hands.

"Erika Kim, nice to meet you"

"Stephanie Horvejkul, the same." Stephanie found out that Erika was half Korean just like her. It was fascinating to Stephanie how Erika seems unaffected by Nichkhun's skinship.

"I'll bring more beer." he smiled and stood. Erika looked lazily around before taking out a cigarette box. She placed the stick between her lips before lighting it up.

Stephanie wasn't a smoker, so she just played with the glass of orange juice in her hands.

"Why aren't you talking? Are you uncomfortable with my presence?" Stephanie's head shot up, eyes finding Erika's.

"N-no, it's that I'm thinking."

"We don't have beer anymore. I'm going to buy some." Nichkhun smiled and grabbed his jacket. Stephanie smiled in his direction. When he left the atmosphere became awkward again.

"So ummm, are you really Khun's colleague?" Erika puffed out the smoke before smiling in her direction.

"I'm his superior. That guy should learn how to treat his superiors." she chuckled. It was deep and husky to Stephanie's ears.

"I-I'm sorry." Stephanie stood up and bowed, making Erika laugh more while opening the last can of beer using her thumb and index.

"You don't need to bow to me. Me and him, we're friends since a long time ago. But he probably never told you. He's such an idiot." Once again. The same deep laugh.

Stephanie sat down and looked at the clock. It was 10 pm and the only nonstop was kind of far from their neighborhood.

"You probably want to know why we do skinship. Well, he's one funny guy. Three years ago he even tried hitting on me." Stephanie huffed silently. She didn't want to hear such stupid things.