His Fire Lily

Written by: 🦁LIONKINGFAN 💛
https://aminoapps.com/c/lion-king-cats/page/user/isikiigfai/4JLg_ZRF5f2VGL1Vmbnb86eQxY1xK0nnKD

It was raining again. For the third time that day. And it was only sunhigh. Fuli hated water more than anything else in all of the Great Spirit's creation.     

   Especially rain.

  Most water remained still, pooling up in large groups, or flowing in rivers. It didn't bother Fuli unless she fell into it. Which she never did.

  But rain was excited and swift, falling from every little corner of the sky, and no matter where she hid, it always managed to find her.

Even as she sheltered in a cave underneath a large rock ledge, rain splashed off the rock and started to reach her paws. With nothing to do, no Lion Guard missions, and nothing to hunt, she was not looking forward to the rest of her day.

Now the fierce downpour of rain was creating a thick wall of mist, and Fuli could barely make out anything around her.

She could see the outline of a nearby acacia tree, and some large bushes that housed a vibrant orange flower.

And if she looked even harder she could almost make out some-

Splaasshh

Fuli quickly perked her ears, listening for more sounds that would indicate that someone else was indeed in the cave with her.

Fuli slowly backed into the shadows of the cave, where she hoped it was too dark for the intruders to see her.

She heard pawsteps. Coming toward her. It was so rainy and wet outside, and whoever this was was soaked to the bone, and Fuli couldn't smell them.

She detracted her claws. She would be ready for any attack. She lowered herself to the ground, and wriggled her haunches, ready to pounce.

Fuli tried to calm herself. It had to be something small, not full grown. Unless it was one of Janja's hyenas. She growled under her breath. It could be just another animal sheltering from the storm. But it might not be.

Suddenly, a bolt of lightning struck hard on the ground outside of the cave, illuminating a silhouette of the intruder.

  Fuli didn't even think about who it could be, before leaping into action. She sprung at the figure, but they quickly dodged the attack.

Fuli landed nimbly on her feet, and raised a paw to strike, but they countered her attack. Surprised at how good of a fighter they were, Fuli let her guard down for a moment. But that moment was enough for them to leap onto her, pinning her down.

"Hey, Fuli."

   Fuli looked up into the glowing eyes of her fellow guard member, Kion. How could she have been so foolish?! She should've known someone from the Guard would come find her.

  "Why so tense? What, did you think I was a hyena or something?" Kion questioned, smirking at her.

"No, I knew it was you all along. I just wanted to surprise you. Just because I've been stuck under this rock all day doesn't mean I can't still fight!" Fuli exclaimed quickly.

"What's that you have there?" Fuli asked, before he could question her explanation, noticing the bright red flower he was carrying for the first time.

Suddenly, the smirk dissolved off Kion's face, and he donned a nervous smile instead. "It's a flower."

"I see that. But why do you have a flower?" Fuli asked, rolling her eyes.

An embarrassed blush crept onto his cheeks. "It's-Well, I-I brought it for you," he mumbled quietly.

   Fuli suddenly became serious. This was new. "You did?"

"Yeah, I know how much you hate rain. I thought maybe this would cheer you up." Kion said, not meeting her eyes, and still blushing.

Fuli stared incredulously at the beautiful flower. It looked like a little fire in plant form.

"Well, its kind of working." Fuli wasn't usually one to stop and smell the flowers, but no one had ever done this for her before. And she couldn't ignore the feeling she got at the thought that Kion was the one that got it for her...

As Fuli admired the flower some more, Kion started to explain what it was. "It's a Flame Lily. They bloom in the rainy season."

"Where did you learn all this flower knowledge?" Fuli said, smirking.

"Well, when you live with someone like my sister's friends, you learn stuff like this." Kion laughed.

Kion became nervous once more. "Anyway, I thought that Flame Lilies are like you. They are fierce and fiery, but that's what makes them so beautiful." Lion said, meeting her eyes for the first time.

"You think I'm beautiful?" Fuli asked in wonder.

"Yeah. Here!" He said quickly, gently putting it behind her ear. "It looks good that way."

"Thanks. Wait, did the Guard send you?" Fuli's heart sank, dreading the answer she was certain to get. Maybe he was doing this for someone else, maybe it was a dare from Bunga. It couldn't be possible that Kion actually felt this way about her.

  "No. I came here on my own! Bunga asked me if I wanted to play some Baobab Ball, but I told him I needed to find you first."

  Fuli sighed in relief, but them pressed up farther in her corner of the cave as more rain leaked in.

"Well, now you found me, so you can go find Bunga now." Fuli sighed.

"Oh. You want me to leave?" Kion asked, dismayed.

   "No! I just thought that you had to play Baobab Ball now." Fuli said.

"No, I don't have to. I actually told Bunga that I probably wouldn't come back. If you want I can stay here? I've never really liked playing Baobab Ball in the rain." Kion said.

  "Yeah. I want you to stay," Fuli said quietly.

Kion moved into the corner where Fuli sheltered. "There's not a lot of room in here." Kion chuckled.

  "I'm fine with that." Fuli smirked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   A few hours later the rain stopped. They had spent the whole time talking. Fuli hadn't even realized the rain had stopped for a moment, until Kion pointed it out to her.

  "Fuli look! The rain stopped!" Kion exclaimed, running to the entrance.

"Do you think it's done for the rest of the day?" Fuli asked, skeptically.

  "Well, if it starts again we can just go back in here. I wouldn't complain. I love spending time with my Flame Lily." He smiled at her.

"That was so cheesy, Kion." Fuli laughed, but at the same time her heart leaped.

"You wanna go play some Baobab Ball?" Kion asked quickly.

  "Yeah. I'd like that."

The two left the cave, chasing each other playfully through the grasses, the sun shining brightly down on them.

   But the light feeling in her chest, and the quickening pace of her heartbeat had nothing to do with the weather...