I can't do this

I got inspired by this picture by Wolf-Chalk

I got inspired by this picture by Wolf-Chalk. It's called ''You Can't Make Me Go Back!'' And you can find it on DeviantArt
https://www.deviantart.com/wolf-chalk/art/You-Can-t-Make-Me-Go-Back-842111097
(Thanks CheetahpawTheFastest )

Not a super romantic KionXFuli story but still kinda cute. Let me know what you think of it 😊

Kion's head was spinning. His heart hammered in his chest. He could barely breathe. He needed to leave. He wanted to leave.
Ever since his coronation to become King of the Tree of Life, Kion always found himself staring off into the distance, in the direction of the only entrance and exit of the kingdom. It was where he and his team met the Night Pride, though it was not a friendly greeting until the former Queen Jana told her granddaughter, Rani, to welcome Kion and his Lion Guard. The thought of Queen Jana made his heart ache. Her dying words were drilled into his mind like his scar amongst his skin.

"...and perhaps choose to stay".

Kion knew she wanted him to stay at the Tree of Life to protect the lands and Rani, the new Queen. Just another load of responsibilities. He had enough already at the time. His scar needed to heal, he needed to go back home before his sister's first hunt and he was worried that something bad would happen while he was gone. And something did happen. The Outlander lions came and attacked, lead by a lioness named Zira. She died trying to kill Simba even when her own pride decided that the hatred towards the Pridelanders needed to end. To Kion's shock when he returned home, his whole team was replaced by Vitani and four other lionesses as the new Lion Guard. Though Kion put on a smile and gave up his position, he couldn't help but feel like he let down his family and his home. The only thing left for him to do was return to Rani and rule along side her as king.

Now as a young adult, with a lush red mane and decent muscles, he thought back to what he and Rani thought of each other when they were young. Rani loved him, only realising it after the death of grandmother. Now, Rani was always so busy with her duties and rarely spent time with Kion. When she did have time, she would claim she was tired and needed some rest. He didn't blame her, being a king was tough too, but at least he had some of his friends to help with some of his tasks. Rani refused the help, saying this was how she always did things. She ruled under the night sky while he watched over the land during the day. They are growing distant and Kion could see and feel it. He tried to make it better, only with Rani turning him away or being interrupted by someone wanting her help.

That was when he realised, when he was younger, he only loved Rani because he had to. Guilt tripped by her dying grandmother.

Kion could feel his paws carrying him to the border. Closer and closer, the icy snow did not even make him think twice. He snuck past Ullu, who was sleeping in the trees. He sees the gap between the mountain's rim that surrounded the kingdom. The openness of snow and trees and the frozen lake called out to him, whispering the word freedom. It sounded foreign in his ears. It made his heart thump with excitement and the taste of it made him yearn for it. He wanted to leave. He needed to leave. He stops. He looks at the walls of the mountains, seeing line between freedom and the Tree of Life.