The Attack

James and I went to the gardens again, passing a peacock as we went. Peacocks are my favorite animals. I just love them. I loved being in the garden with James. One of my favorite places with one of my favorite people. We sat under our tree together. I was laying with my head in his lap. It was a warm day so I wore a lighter dress

 It was a warm day so I wore a lighter dress

James sat there, holding me. Everything was peaceful when we heard a blood curdling scream. I sat up quickly. We looked at each other. Not daring to make a sound. I heard guns. It must be in the other side of the castle. We had to stay here. We couldn't make it inside the castle. I don't think they will check in the gardens. Especially not under our willow tree. We were completely hidden by the thick branches.

More gunshots. I moved closer to James. He held me tight. All I could think was what about Nicollete and Adeline? Were they okay. I wanted to be with them, lead them to my secret library, where no one could get in. But instead, I sat there, defenseless under the willow tree. I layed my head on James's shoulder, tears silently streaming down my face. We didn't dare talk. I clung to James for dear life. He was my rock. With him, I would be okay. I didn't know what was going on. We were obviously under attack. But by who? Who was winning. I didn't know.

I must have fallen asleep. I heard someone walking towards me and jerked awake. James was gone! Where was he? I needed him. The branches parted and James was there, his hand extended towards me. I took it and followed him out of the tree. It was only then when I dared to speak up.

"What happened?" I asked. "Just close your eyes." He said. "I'll tell you when we get to the castle. But I don't want you to see any of this."  What did that mean? Were there bodies all over the ground. There were so many questions I had. Instead of asking them, I did what he said. I closed my eyes and let him guide me.

Once we were inside the palace, he let me open my eyes. "They didn't get in here." Is all he said. He then led me to my room, where Adeline and Nicollete sat in my bed. I ran to them, hugging them. He told me everything. Protesters had attacked. They hadn't gotten into the palace. Only guards we killed. James joined us on the bed and the four of us, our little family sat together. We talked about everything. How scared we were, how relieved we were. I love them so much.