Chapter 2: Stormy

Twelve o’clock rolled around and I was counting down the two hours that I had left. I had just finished giving a couple their food when about five niggas walked into the restaurant, and they all had a chick on their arm. These niggas were fine, and it was something about them that screamed money and power.

Twelve o’clock at night, inside Denny's and each of them looked like they had spent so much time getting dressed. There were so many of them, but my eyes were on one of them only; the finest one. All these years, I thought the rapper future was the finest man on this earth, but seeing this dude tonight  I realize I was wrong. The man that I was looking at was someone who resembled God taking his precious time when he created him. His skin was literally the same chocolate complexion as mine, and he was cocky as hell. He sported a low cut with waves on swim, but his beard gotee was cut low. He had a pair of brown eyes, but they looked so intimidating. He had to be about 6’1” and somewhere between 120 and 200 pounds.

Literally, all I saw were his tattoos on full display in his red colored tru religion shirt that he wore with a pair of black pants and some all red Jordan 11's on his feet. He opened his mouth to say something, and he wasn’t even smiling, but both of his deep dimples showed. I knew that I would never have him, which is why I just continued to lust after him. I’m pretty sure that a man as fine as him went after beautiful, foreign women. He gave me a vibe that I've never experienced before. I just couldn't help but to keep my eyes on him. I tried looking away but it was like my eyes had a mind of there own. He caught me looking at him and I quickly turned my head and high tailed it to the back of the restaurant. I said a silent prayer that I didn’t have to be their waitress because I knew I would get to stuttering. I always did that when I felt under pressure. I just prey somebody else calls me.

It was just my luck that they were seated in my section. I cursed myself because I already knew that this wasn’t going to end well. Slowly, I walked over to them with all ten menus in my hand, even though the only thing that I wanted to do right now was to lay down and die. I should have told my manager that I couldn’t stay, and then I wouldn’t have been worried about this right now.

“Hey, my name is stormy what could I start you guys off with?” I said. For some reason, I looked into his eyes once and was about to lose track of all sense i do have. So I looked away.

“Listen mrs. Doolittle when we need you we know how to ring a damn bell.” One of the females called out, causing everybody at the table to erupt in laughter, except him. He looked like he was serious like this all the time, and not a lot of shit made him laugh.

“Oh... I’m so... sorry,” I said, beginning to stutter. I hated that because he probably thought it was so unattractive for me to be stuttering. My aunt always told me that she didn't like it, so I tried to control it.  “I-Im just trying to do my job ma'am. Maybe I can start you all off with something to drink?” I asked, finally able to get it right. 

I took all of their drink orders in and then I went to go and make them. I put all ten drinks on the tray and I walked back over to the table, holding the tray up over my shoulder. Once, I reached the table i placed the drinks down. When I was about to walk away i was called back. "You could just bring me some breakfast." Pretty eyes said.

" Yes, of course but-- "I started, I switched my weight to one side while twirling my thumbs.

"Is there a problem?" He asked adjusting himself in his seat. His men stood up but he quickly told them to take a seat. "Its just that. Um...okay listen our chef had to leave earlier than usual. Meaning we have to cook and server orders tonight." I tried explaining the best that could.

"Okay. What the fuck that has to do with my food?" He said rudely. Taken aback I was literally lost of all words. "Well, I'll try to suggest something smaller. Being that I have to cook for not only you but all of you, so please try ordering something smaller." I said. He open his mouth to say something but was quickly cut off by one of his friends. His friend was tall, slim and light as fuck, he wasn't bad looking.

"I'm sorry boss man to cut you off and everything. Listen ma I know you ain't out there or nothing like that but lemme ask you a question. Do you believe in god?" He said. I shook my head yes.

"Okay, well being that you believe in god you should know that you shouldn't question him and just do what is told. That man right there is the reason you're in one of those uniform and not toe tagged. He keep these streets afloat. So consider him god and get his damn food." He said, adjusting himself in his seat.

I was lost of words again."Um..it'll be right up." I said.

As I was wrote down there orders, my eyes were everywhere, except for where they should have been. If they were I would have noticed that my aunt was walking in and she didn't look happy at all. "Stormy bring yo ass over here right the fuck now." She said, not really in a demanding tone.

Looking back at her while I took everyone's order I noticed she didn't have the kids with her and my cousin definitely was with her. So my concerns were left alone when I noticed just that. "Give me a minute I'm taking an order." I said.

Being that I was on a timer I had no room to talk. "Storm--" my aunt started. "I can't talk right now if you want to yell at me then you can do that shit at home." I said in all of one breath. Turning I walked away. I heard footsteps behind me then I heard "bitch!" Then the sound of glass shattered and liquid seeped through my hairnet.

Sure enough, I went crashing down to the floor with all of my dignity, instantly my nose started bleeding. I was so embarrassed as the whole restaurant fell out into laughter. I heard mumbling and saw phones out.

“Aye yo go sit yo ass down!” I heard a voice say to someone. I laid on the ground with tears in my eyes because I was so embarrassed. In one quick motion, my body was jerked off the floor, and when I looked up, he had helped me up. “Y’all acting real childish right now! Grow the fuck up, man!” he barked, and just that quick, all laughter had ceased. Looking over to my aunt he said,"You better be luck that you're a female. That was some foul ass shit." She waved him off and grabbed her fallen purse and walked outside.

“Thank you,” I whispered, and ran to the back where the bathrooms were. I cleaned my face as best I could. I had a small gash that my co worker cleaned for me using the first aid kit. They offered to call the police but I politely declined.

"Are you okay?" My coworkers asked. I simply nodded my head. I needed to go back out there. "Are you done with the food?" My coworker Ashely asked. After I had everything cook I begin to put food on their plates but made sure to put more on his plate.

                     ********

“Can I get you all anything else?” I asked.

“Bitch, why the fuck do you keep coming over here? We good, over here!” his girlfriend said to me. I looked over and seen him stuffing his face. 

“Okay. I was just making sure,” I said and then I walked away.
This is the very reason I hated my job. If I could quit i would've along time ago. The only thing that's keeping me here is my aunt. She told me along time ago that if I couldn't pull my weight then I was going to have to get out of her house.

When I was younger I thought she was playing, but then when I got older I had to take care of her kids and go to school. On top of that, I had to get a job and clean the house whenever she has her junkie ass friends over.

Once everybody was done eating, I printed out the check for them, placed it on their table, and I quickly walked away. Standing in the back of the restaurant, I saw that all of the men tried to go in their wallets to pay, but he stopped them, letting them know that he had it. I was able to watch as he pulled out a wad of cash from his pockets and peeled off some bills. Just like that, they were up and gone, like they were never here. But at least I could finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Looking at the clock, I saw that it was 2:00 and I smiled because it was time for me to clock off. When I made it to the table, I noticed it was a stack on the table. I smiled because their total was only $108.91. I could see that it was handwriting written on the back of the check, so I turned it around. It read, 'Used the money to get that shit checked out, -sins'; smiling again. When it was time for me to clock out, I damned there ran home.