Day 20: I Shall Undo the Day I Met My Ex-Girlfriend

"How...how did this happen?", Izanami pondered.
Izanami checked Aika's pulse both on her neck and wrists. She had to be certain that she was dead.
"No pulse. Your soul has already left this world. I know where I need to go."

To the world of the dead

日二十

DAY 20

For a love that lasts forever, I'd surely sell my soul

Izanami left the body where she found it. When her corpse was discovered, she would most likely be examined by a coroner to determine the cause of death. It wouldn't help the authorities if they find sea water in her lungs, but discover the body far away from the shore. Besides, there was much to be done. As the goddess of death, Izanami had a responsibility to see to it that Aika's soul was taken care of until it was properly judged. She opened a vortex to a special place in the underworld; The House of Souls. It was a beautiful place despite its desolate, almost desert-like location.

The house looked small from the outside, but once Izanami entered, the building was built like a massive cathedral. There was just one, long hallway that never seemed to end, and each side of the hallway had doors. Those doors led to rooms where the souls of the recently deceased where kept. Aika's door was easy to find. Izanami saw her designated room, and again, it was beautiful enough to match its occupant. Beautifully decorated stained glass windows took the place of plain walls, and the patterns depicted some of the last moments of Aika's life. The floor was made of stone, and in the middle of the room, there was a body of water, similar to a pool.

Aika was laying on top of the water, her eyes shut, and the tiara of flowers still around her head. About a dozen multi-colored lotus flower lanterns floated on top of the water with her, and dozens more candles surrounded the floor around the pool and the four corners of the room. The very front of the room had a golden, life-size statue of Izanami with incense burning next to it. Looking at the stained glass, Izanami was able to determine what happened. It was clear as day.

"You found a cat in the bowling alley...then you saw Osamu...you left to return the cat...the owners thanked you...you didn't come home...you sat on the beach...and you walked into the water and drowned yourself. You killed yourself. You really took your own life..."

自殺

Izanami clasped her hands, and began a Kuji-in ritual, the method by which holy figures perform their powers. A small, pitch-black vortex opened in front of her, and out of it came a pale figure shrouded in the shadow of his black cloak, bowing to Izanami.

死神

"You summoned me, Izanami-no-Mikoto?", he humbly asked.
"As a shinigami, you've peered into the minds of all who have died. I'm curious about this one.", she replied, her tone much more rigid and commanding.