0.3 - the roboteer

On the first day, man created God.

And along with a power beyond their thought, they also gave life to countless other inventions.

The creatures sanctified -and cursed at the same time- with the ability to think beyond the basic instincts to survive, be it a human or not, had always searched for a reason why they were alive. Was it just a coincidence or was it a holy plan of something far from they could imagine? Ever since their first day, every one of them was in search of their journey, in hopes to find a meaning behind endlessly roaming on these empty lands. At first, it was just a story of an innocent act of self-discovery. But in every intelligence, lied some kind of evil.

Every form of intelligence was different from one another and later on, they divided into tribes, calling them different religions.

And so came the rivalry and hate between them.

They denied each other, they abused each other, they killed each other; all in the name of each of their minds were working differently.

Wasn't that also the reason why humans and monsters became divided in the first place?

Humans began to question, began to search for a reason; why did God gave them peculiarity and different powers if we are his most important work? They couldn't find any. And blinded by their divine fury, they banished monsters from their lands, and eventually, monsters from each other.

They did their God's work.

The gate's heavy doors opened with a metallic sound, releasing the coldness stored within the gate. He narrowly opened his tired eyelids and tried to observe his surroundings as much as they let him to.

But what was to be done with those who didn't end up believing into something? Maybe they thought that they were somehow more of an observer compared to the religious. Somehow more materialist in perspective and more denying of those that they can't see. While others worshipped their gods, they got absorbed in what they had created.

Be it their machines, inventions or something that found life in their hands. They drowned their narrow minds in their own ego and confusion. Because the ones with the free will of how their minds worked were always in need of something bigger than their being to find a reason, find the reason, why they were wandering on the soils of Earth.

He tried to move his limbs but it felt like as if they got heavier due to staying unconscious in a gate for fifty years. His eyes and his mind filled with sourish lights coming from outside.

And even the godless ended up believing into something.

The doors now fully opened, he tried to move his limbs, at least his arms, again. His weakened body trembled in intense pain. He raised his shaking hand and loosened the tangled cables surrounding him. This metallic and artificial cocoon could keep the ill intentions away and sealed from him but its time was gone. He had to rise once again and face all the things he had readied himself for. He got out of the gate, his knees still weak with the fatigue of an unconsciousness of fifty years. He hugged himself in an attempt to block the cold air of the room.

He looked around and observed the cold, lifeless room around him. This place, this place was where once he called home. Where once he spent hours in, losing himself in his experiments and machines he had created with all of the passion he once had. Where once he and his lover sat down in front of the big window that showed outside -the colorful signs with neon lighting, cars quickly passing by, people looking down and hurrying somewhere they were invested in of the time they lived in and just stayed like that; sometimes talking about their future, sometimes with warm tea in their hands and a thin blanket covering their shoulders or sometimes just quietly looking at each other in the eyes, with the restful knowledge of being each other's paradise and that nothing in the world could hurt them. But that wasn't what he was seeing when he looked around. Instead, he saw a room with a lot of unnecessary-looking machinery and spare pieces, looking even more gloomy with faint lights coming from outside and dust covering broken metal pieces like snow in winter. The place lying in front of him was nothing more than a desolate wasteland, an empty shell without a soul.

It had been some time.

The strange noise of a car horn slipped him from his thoughts. The technical workers that were entrusted with the task of improving electrical and mechanical parts of the city surely had gone wild while he was gone.

He stepped onward to the metal counter where he left his most essential tools. he left them there after his promise to himself, and to his family. Now was time to fulfill his promise.

For honor.

For their memory.

For vengeance.

"Long time no see, my friend."

The strange, yet somewhat familiar robotic voice firstly scared him. But then he remembered. It was his artificial assistant he created especially for moments like this.

He was never that kind of person who'd lock themselves up and listen only to their inner voice. He was never alone and was never left behind. There was always someone to listen and to aid him. But even living in a situation like this, he felt the need for something more personal. Something that would hold his secrets that he couldn't tell to anyone else. He even thought about keeping some kind of diary but in the age they lived, it was almost a crime to keep personal secrets.

"Hello."

His voice came out hoarse. He couched before he continued:

"Any news?"

The assistant replied with a slight hint of sorrow in its voice. He didn't program it to feel any kind of emotion but it looked like his robotic assistant had developed itself with its artificial intelligence. It was both rejoicing and terrifying.

"If you consider the city becoming more advanced than it was before the high-borns continuing to kill others news, yes."

Even this little robot was giving a sense of serenity after all. He smiled.

"I missed you."

"What's this, T-"

His eyes widened with fear. The bitter past and his recorded crimes under his name mustn't have stained his future.

"Don't say that name."

"As you wish. What may I call you now?"

He looked down and thought. What should my name be? What should my name be? That gate...

"Karma..."

He hesitated a bit but then looked at his assistant and continued:

"Karma Fields."