The Big Dare

‘Emma, you know you are like my best friend, no you are my best friend but you are making a huge deal out of nothing’ Emily told me on the last day of school. I was having a hard time concentrating on anything they were saying and I had already walked into two people and I had lost track of how many walls I hit.

    ‘You say it’s nothing but I say it’s probably the biggest decision I will ever have to make’

    ‘No, the biggest will probably be saying yes or no to Carter when he asks you to marry him. We all know he’s going to, it’s only a matter of time.’

    ‘That’s easy, a million times yes’ I said forgetting he could hear me. Shit! Shit! Shit!

    ‘Babe, did you happen to forget that I can hear you?’ he chuckled. I could hear the happiness in his voice and I laughed at it.

    ‘No, I know you can but I forgot that you hear everything’ I said.

    He chuckled then went back to doing whatever he was doing before he heard me agree to marry him, when he asks. I smiled at the thought of one day being Emma Jamison, that just sounds so sweet and cute.

    When I got home from school, I went straight to Carter’s study and right onto his desk to distract him. I was playing with his pens, trying to fling them at him when he got off the phone and smiled at me.

    “So, you’re done with school until September, what can I do to keep you busy until then?”

    I laughed. “You are so dramatic, I’m not going to spend all of my time moping around trying to choose between you and being a vampire. It just gives me a headache”

    “You just now figured that out, it’s been three weeks since those strange vampires came and gave you the decision to make. If you look at it the right way then you won’t have a decision to make at all.”

    “Hush, I’m done thinking about that until the week before they come and ask me, I think”

    “Good, because you really need to clear that mind out, it’s got to be cluttered with all that thinking you do.”

    “Whatever, I’m just glad that I finally have one thing in agreement. I hate big decisions”

    “Oh, I should’ve been told that from the very beginning” he complained. I laughed and didn’t say anything else. I stopped playing with his pens and laid on the couch thinking about all the fun I was going to have this summer. I would go to the mall, the beach, and every other place Emily found summer-like or has one summer dress or something. She was such a girl, it made me feel like I’m a tomboy.

    The rest of that day, I spent in Carter’s study watching him do whatever it is he does all day. I wish he could take the summer off or at least half of it.

    “I am” he said. “After today, I’m all yours for the whole summer”

    “Really?”

    “Yep”

    I ran up to him and hugged him so hard he couldn’t breath which for me was easy but I let him go before I literally hugged him to death. I skipped out of the room and straight into Lucas.

    “Sorry Lucas, I wasn’t watching where I was going” I said and went around him up the stairs to Emily’s room. I knocked before entering only to find her sprawled out on the bed.

    “What’s up, Emma?” she asked sitting up.

    “Carter does have to do whatever it is he does all day this summer. I guess he took it off or something.” I said.