A Clan

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Austin” I said to Emily’s brother. He wasn’t a werewolf or anything but he knew, and he was very aware of everything. He was about my size, 5’7 and he was just like Emily. He had the red hair, facial features and slim body, but he had blue eyes instead of yellow. Another thing they had in common was annoying the hell out of me.

    “Oh, I think you do. You have a mate and you are going to tell me who he is before I throw something at you” He said in his guy-Emily voice.

    I felt Carter come up to me, wrap his arms around my waist and put his chin in my shoulder. Just one breath and shivers went up and down my back and my heartbeat accelerated.

    “Morning, babe” he whispered into my ear. I turned around and gave him a quick kiss before returning to making my breakfast. It wasn’t much of a breakfast, just cereal and toast but it worked.

    “Morning” I said when I found my voice.

    “Would you like to explain to me how you got out of bed without waking me up?” he asked going to grab my toast.

    “Moving very slowly and quietly. You were out cold and you’re a light sleeper, I didn’t want to wake you up” I explained.

    “Your mate is going to be pissed if he finds out your cheating on him” Austin said.

    Carter jerked his head up to look up at me, dropping the toast. “What?”

    “Austin, he’s my mate”

    “Oh, sorry dude.”

    “Like you would actually cheat on me. I’m perfect” he said handing me my toast. He had taken a bite.

    “Far from it” I said taking a bite of my toast.

    “So are you saying you’d cheat on me?”

    “Hell no, I just meant that you aren’t perfect” I explained. I finished my breakfast having a small conversation with Carter but it was mostly quiet. That was until Emily woke up and came down stairs.

    “What’s up, crazy people?” she said skipping into the kitchen. I laughed and Carter chuckled but Austin stayed quiet.

    “We aren’t crazy, just abnormal” I said. Carter chuckled more at that answer and I smacked him across the head on my way to the dishwasher. As I put it away his hands were around my waist and his lips on my ear. He knew that drove me crazy, almost as much as when he kissed his mark.

    “You two are inseparable” Dylan said coming into the kitchen.

    Carter pecked my neck then spun around and thumped Dylan in the back of the head before starting his breakfast. The whole time watching my reaction.

    “So not funny, Carter” I scowled.

    “I thought it was funny, though I could see were you would disagree.” he chuckled. “Sorry if I upset you, babe”

    “Sure you are” I mumbled to myself.

    “We are trying to eat over here, so if you’re going to make-out or something go upstairs” Emily said.

    I gave her a sour look. “You and Lucas are the same way”

    “They were worst right after he marked her, they were all over each other in every room in the house. It lasted for weeks” Carter said taking a bite of his toast.

    “Thanks for putting that image in my mind, Carter”

    He shrugged and finished his toast. “Just the truth”