Chapter 18

Luke watched Harper as she walked back and forth with one hand holding a phone to her ear and the other wrapped around her midsection. She was not enjoying the phone conversation she was having and he wondered who it was she was talking to. If he was putting money on it he would bet it was her sister laying a guilt trip on her.

Harper hadn't spoken another word about what had happened the week before, either about the attack or their shared kiss, it was as if neither one had happened. She also hadn't told him what her sister's reaction had been. He was guessing that it was because he had been right, and Mindy had asked her to cover for her and Harper didn't want to hear I told you so.

They had traveled up to Atlanta the day before and stayed the night with Emmeline in order to make their early flight out that day. Now they were waiting in the New York airport for their connecting flight to Paris to be called. He was sitting next to his grandmother, who was also watching Harper.

"How are you doing Luke?" Emmeline turned her attention away from Harper and put it all on him.

"I'm fine Gran, why do you ask?" He turned towards his grandmother, taking his eyes off Harper and focusing on the older woman.

"I was thinking that it must have been just as traumatic to see Harper being attacked as it was for her to be attacked. Especially, considering how you feel for her." Emmeline's sharp eyes were watching his reaction closely.

"And how exactly do I feel for Harper?" he asked, amused.

"You love her," she returned matter of fact.

"Sure Gran, we all love Harper, and we are all worried about her." Luke turned his eyes back towards Harper, who had raised her hand to rub her forehead.

"But we're not all in love with her,"

Luke froze and turned to his grandmother. "I'm not sure I understand you Gran?"

"Oh son, we all know you have been in love with Harper since you were a young man, the only person who doesn't seem to know is Harper herself." Gran followed his gaze, looking at the woman in question. "Mindy might be a bit clueless as well."

"Thank God for small favors," Luke said under his breath, imagining how hard his life would be if Mindy ever found out.

"I've been watching her the past few weeks though and I think she might be starting to come around, your mother had mentioned it and that was what helped me decide to finally make this trip. There is nothing quite like Paris to inspire young love," she sighed.

"You were in love in Paris?" Luke asked, taking his chance to change the subject and take the focus of him and Harper.

"Yes, it was a long time ago and it was the only time I ever fell in love." Emmeline's face took on a sad expression that Luke had never seen before. It was almost as if her heart was still broken.

"Gramps?" he asked, sure of the answer.

"No, not him," she said absentmindedly as if her mind was somewhere very far away.

Luke was shocked. "I thought you and Gramps were in love?"

"I loved your grandfather very much, but I was never in love with him. Our parents arranged the marriage." She smiled at the memory. "I held out against them as long as I could, waiting for my love to come and find me, but eventually, I gave up on him. When he finally found me it was too late, I was married and your father was on the way."

Luke was speechless as he looked at his grandmother, almost as if seeing her for the first time.

"But I do know that Paris was what helped us to fall in love, and I think that it might do the same for you and Harper."

Luke's shocked looked changed to one of skepticism. "I don't see-"

"I plan to take many long naps and occasionally dine in, and I wouldn't dream of keeping you youngsters tied up with me all night." She looked at him with a shrewd grin. "But I can only help you so much Luke, the rest will have to be up to you."

"I'm guessing the family wants updates?" Luke asked in a resigned voice. What was that old saying, if you couldn't beat them, you should join them? Well he would be a fool to not take advantage of such a chance, especially now that he knew just how wonderful a simple kiss was from the woman.

He watched as Harper walked back towards them and sat down next to Luke with a glum expression.

"Let me guess, it was your sister giving you a hard time about not covering for her and Richard?" he asked. The mulish silence that met him by way of response let him know that he was right. "I'm glad that you didn't cave, but I am curious which tactic she tried to use to try and convince you."

Harper crossed her arms. "She wanted me to say that I invited Richard for lunch to try to set them up, and since I was going to be away for two weeks there wouldn't be any trouble for me to deal with because it would all be forgotten by the time I go back."

"Until she and Ricard told everyone about their relationship and everyone would believe that you were responsible for it; completely leaving her in the clear." Luke shook his head. "There is a certain evil genius to it."

"I told her if she hadn't come clean by the time we returned I would tell everyone exactly what happened," Harper growled. She was obviously still upset by her sister's phone call.

Luke looked down at her and waited until she turned to look at him in response.

"I'm proud of you for holding firm against her," he said before dropping a quick kiss on her lips that left him wanting much more.

Harper looked up at him with rounded eyes and a shocked expression, but she didn't say a word as she did her best to gain control of herself. She looked away, licked her lips and cleared her throat, turning all of her attention onto her phone. She was going to pretend that it didn't happen.

"Good for you son, start as you mean to continue," Gran leaned over and whispered. "Now go over there and get that wheelchair." She pointed to a free on sitting by the gate.

"You don't need one Gran." He looked at her suspiciously.

"Yes, I do. I want to be the first on the plane."

Luke rolled his eyes and rose to get the chair. There was no point in telling her that because they were flying first class that they got to get on first anyway.