. f i v e .

"Fate loves the fearless." - James Russell Lowell

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"He's a really great guy. I think he's gonna ask me out again soon." Emma updated me happily through a text.

I smiled to myself. "Good! I'm glad. Btw I talked to your neighbor, haha"

My phone began ringing almost immediately after I sent the message.

"Hey, Emma." I half-laughed.

"WREN OHMIGOSH. Tell me everything. He's hot, I told you so. So tall, so blonde, so muscular." She sounded at least 5 years younger than her age.

"Emma, I know him already. His name's Luke."

"WHAT?!" I winced and pulled the phone slightly away from my ear as she basically screamed through the speaker, "HOW DO YOU KNOW HIM ALREADY? AND WHY DIDN'T I HEAR ABOUT IT?"

"He's the son of the guest choreographer that's at the studio this week. They're from Australia. We all were introduced to him at dance and then he showed up at the flower shop wanting to ship flowers back to Sydney for his mom's birthday. He's cool." I tried to sound nonchalant.

"Oh my god. He's Australian and he loves his mom. He's perfect."

I laughed and rolled over in my bed, slightly burying half of my face into a pillow. "Yes, Emma. He seems kinda pretentious, though, I dunno."

"I don't even care, Wren, when you get a chance, jump on that."

I sat up in bed. "Emma, it's not like he likes me, holy shit." I laughed.

"Hmph. Well you seem to not be able to keep away from each other." She used the same words he did earlier and I smiled slightly. "What if it's faaaate?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's most definitely not faaaate. Calm down over there. It's just coincidence, we're barely acquaintances."

"Alriiiiight..." I could hear the grin in her words. "Whatever you say."

I sighed and smiled. "'Night, Emma. I'm glad your date went well. See ya tomorrow." I just honestly didn't want to have this conversation with her, I didn't need to get my hopes up about this boy I barely knew.

"Me too. G'night, hon." The phone line went dead with a small click and then several beeps.

I shifted over and extended my arm towards the nightstand, softly setting down my phone on the wooden table.

I slowly shut my heavy eyelids, and the last thing I remembered were images of ripped black jeans and broad, pale shoulders flooding my brain.

~

"It's been two days, Wren. TWO DAYS and he still hasn't called." Emma moaned into the phone as I sat comforting her in my subway seat.

"It's okay, Emma, I'm sure he'll come around. Guys this age are annoyingly indecisive." And with that I received a quick glare from the man sitting across the way.

"I know, but-" there was a short pause, "WAIT WREN I'm getting another call," another pause, "IT'S FROM HIM! Gotta go, I'll text you later." She quickly hung up and I smiled a little, happy that her little fit of pity was over for now.

About 6 minutes of my subway ride later, my phone vibrated in my back jean pocket. I dug it out and read Emma's text.

"GUESS WHO'S GOT A DATE IN 20 MINUTES."

I stifled a small giggle, in effort not to look insane to the other passengers. "Have fun, and hurry, don't be late. That looks bad."

"Oh honey, I'm already dressed and heading down the stairs."