Chapter 4

"Amy?"

She looked up, wondering what it was now. She'd had a horrible night's sleep and forgotten to get coffee this morning. She didn't want to ask anyone to get her any but she was desperate. Rubbing her temples, she hummed in response.

"Holmes is here." Luke murmured. "Wants to talk to you alone. I'm just gonna take the others for a meeting or something in the back."

She nodded, frowning. The door closed and a moment later opened again, revealing Mycroft Holmes. She smiled tiredly and gestured to the chair in front of her desk. He remained standing, one hand carefully behind his back. Her smile fell.

He surveyed the room, taking in the newly painted blue walls and the brown leather chairs. Focusing on her finally, he spoke.

"It's been a while. I see you've settled in."

She nodded, agreeing to both statements. "What's behind your back?"

He smirked. "Something that I assure you does not come from the goodness of my heart."

"I was informed when I started here that you probably don't have one." She replied dryly. "Or at least not one with any goodness in it."

He blinked. "Then I've done my job."

"So there's an ulterior motive to whatever is behind your back?"

"Yes." He brought his hand around, noting with approval that though curious, she was wary. A brown paper bag settled gently on the wood of her desk. She raised a brow and peeked inside, her face breaking into a grin.

"You brought me coffee and a quiche?" Pulling the treats out, Amy set them on her desk and sniffed the coffee. "How'd you know how I like it?" He said nothing. "Should I assume you know everything? Even my favorite quiche?" He blinked. She laughed and sipped the coffee, humming in pleasure. "Alright, you have my full attention. What was your motive?"

His pleasant expression turned uncertain now. "To soften you up to a proposal." He murmured, looking down at the shined toe of his shoe.

"Oh?"

"Would you like to have lunch with me? Today?"

Amy blinked. "I'll admit, I never expected that." She smiled again. "I'd love to have lunch with you. When and where?"

He pursed his lips, thinking. "Shall we say one o'clock? Meet me in my office?"

She rolled her eyes playfully and sighed. "Fine, keep me guessing. One o'clock." She nodded. He smiled a goodbye and left quietly, the only sound being the click of the door and the ding of the lift.

At one o'clock, Amy stepped off the lift and into the warmly decorated anteroom. Comfy browns, soft creams and golds, Amy felt herself relaxing the moment she stepped in. Anthea looked up. "Go on in."

Amy ventured around the desk and into the office. The color scheme was considerably darker, black walls and two red-orange wall lamps left the occupant in relative shadow. A streak of sunlight from the open curtains illuminated him as he perused a file. Mycroft looked up, evidently expecting Anthea. His bored expression softened and he stood slowly, locking the file in his desk as he did.

"Ready?"

"Where are we going?"

He smiled enigmatically and turned his side towards her, expectant. She slipped her arm in the crook of his elbow and let him lead her to the lift. Anthea looked up from under her lashes, smirking. Once on the ground floor, Amy noticed a black Jaguar as it pulled up to the curb. Mycroft opened the door and slipped in behind her. The chauffeur said nothing, evidently knowing where they were going.