Chapter 15

Amy leapt out of the car and ran to the crowd surrounding the entrance to the Hotel President Wilson. She stared upwards, her heart pounding as she saw the smoke trailing from the eighth floor. Fire blazed even as firefighters shot streams of water to cool it. She pushed earnestly and shoved her way to a policeman. He held her back and shook his head, speaking in German.

She shook her head. "That's my room! I'm staying in there! Tell me what happened."

He shook his head and continued in German. "Eine Explosion. Zwei Verletzte." He held up two fingers.

Amy shook her head. "What?" He repeated himself and tried to push her back. "Was anyone hurt?"

The ambulance opened as a team of paramedics carried two stretchers out of the hotel. Amy leaned up on tip toe to see over the officer. She quickly realized what the officer had said. Two injured. She saw a flash of grey suit and a woman with curly black hair. "Mycroft! Jordan!" She screamed. "I'm with them, please."

Reagan found her in the crowd and verified her claims, showing the officer her badge. He let them through. Amy ran to the first stretcher, taking Mycroft's limp hand.

"Mycroft?"

The paramedic pushed her away and Jordan pulled her into her arms. "He's very sick but he's not injured."

"What happened?" Amy struggled to run after them. Jordan held her back.

"He's going to need you to be calm for him, alright? Stay strong. I'll call on the best doctors in Geneva. Just stay calm for him. One of them knows some English, he'll help you. Okay?"

Amy felt an invisible hand wrench at her spine as Mycroft's hand fell limply from the stretcher. She swallowed her fear and panic and nodded. Jordan let her go. She ran to the ambulance. The paramedics tried to push her out. She fought them back frantically. "I'm his wife." She tried. "His wife! Let me see him!"

They backed into the vehicle, understanding. She jumped in and went to Mycroft's side. She took his hand and pressed her other one to his hot cheek. "Mycroft..." She looked up, seeing the blood coming from an unconscious Anthea's shoulder. "What happened?" She asked one of the men, indicating Anthea.

"Schuss. Gunshot." He said, looking up from his work. He tried to stem the blood while another checked her vitals.

Amy took a deep breath. "Is she going to live?" They didn't reply. She looked back to Mycroft and prayed they could save them both in time.

***

A police escort led the ambulance to a private hospital where a head doctor was waiting for them. Anthea was rushed into surgery and Mycroft was put in a room. Jordan arrived with an armed guard and met with Amy and the doctor. She quickly described all that had happened.

"Before the explosion he had a severe headache and fever. Blurry vision, nausea, rapid pulse. He turned really red and was about to throw up I think before the room blew. His brother is on his way, he can give you a full history."

"Thank you." The doctor said. He said something to another doctor in rapid German. "Neither of you can think of anything else? Has he been sick lately?" He asked them.

Amy shrugged. "He hasn't been sleeping well lately but we thought it was just stress. He's rarely ever sick and as far as I know there's no family history of any sickness."

Jordan nodded. "This was all very sudden."

The doctor nodded. "And the woman? Anthea? Has she any family we can contact?"

Jordan shook her head. "Mycroft knows everything about her, I'm sorry. He's all she has."

"Thank you. We will tell you what we find and can do." He left, hurrying to get to work on Mycroft's condition. Amy slumped into a chair. Jordan sat down and put an arm around her.