Chapter 8

For three weeks, MI-5 tracked down Marcus Lane but to no avail. He always managed to avoid them, staying just out of reach at all times. Files from the Archives continued to go missing, bits and pieces of them appearing on the markets from time to time. There were no more releases of operatives and Marcus hadn't caused any more trouble during his absence. It was unsettling the feeling Mycroft got from it all.

Something was going on and he couldn't piece it together without all the facts. What he did know was the person behind it all and thus he knew the motives. But he wasn't sure what the endgame was. The goal was obvious but the plan was interestingly vague. Still, they all kept working at it. Security was improved, the loss of files had slowed and leads were picking up on finding Marcus.

Meanwhile, Amy had spoken to her small family. Abraham, now that he was growing older and weaker, had agreed to move in with Emily. Since they spent most of their time together, it was a convenient move for them both. Amy finished moving in within the month. And while Mycroft wasn't entirely happy about it, he had agreed to let her bring Casper with her. Fortunately, Casper was perfectly content to stay downstairs and keep out of trouble. He was the quietest creature until Amy mentioned the word "walk" in the mornings. She walked him every morning, getting up at some ungodly hour to run the streets of London.

This particular morning though, she was too exhausted to move. Mycroft leaned on his elbow, watching her wake slowly as the daylight poured in through the window. He'd gotten used to the way she woke up. She blinked a few times and stretched from her neck and slowly down to her toes before opening her eyes fully.

"Good morning." He murmured.

She smiled and reached up, flicking back a lock of his hair. "Morning. Still waking up, I see."

He nodded and slid back under the sheets. He didn't know how she did it every morning but he wasn't going to be at all cheerful until he'd had a shower and some coffee. Amy chuckled and curled up beside him. He sighed. "Exhausted." He muttered.

"Considering last night, you should be."

He smiled and rolled onto his side. She shuffled to his side of the bed and cuddled up against his chest, deciding to go back to sleep. Wrapping one arm around her, Mycroft followed suit.

He woke to the sound of Casper's barking and the doorbell ringing. Groaning, he got up and found his pants. Shrugging into a dressing gown and tying it loosely, he padded downstairs. He opened the door slowly, rubbing one hand down his face.

"Morning." He muttered. Casper rushed past him, sniffing the newcomers. Blinking a few times to focus, Mycroft found himself looking at a very confused John Watson and Jordan Close. Stepping aside silently, he allowed them in.

"Anthea said you're always up at this time." Jordan said apologetically.

"Usually." He muttered, leading them into the kitchen. Checking the coffee pot, he grabbed a few mugs. "Coffee?" He asked. They nodded and sat around the granite island in his kitchen. He poured and set it down in front of them. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

John was still watching him, obviously unsure how to process the sight of him looking so... normal. Jordan pulled a bag from off her shoulders and slid a folder across the granite. "Our little problem is back. And it's a bit more serious this time."

He sighed and bent to read the report. The identities of Level Four agents had been released that morning at exactly 6:02. The covers of multiple field agents had been blown. Retrieval operations were already underway. Some agents had to be left to fend for themselves as it was too risky to send in any teams for them.

The sound of Casper's nails clicking against the wood floor alerted him to the presence of Amy. She wrapped her arms around his waist and read over his shoulder. "Any word on Marcus?" She asked Jordan as she read.