Chapter 10

The trio made their way down the street as soon as they could.

"Where would he be first?" Nita asked calmly.

"He's been very fond of the dumpsters," Stela recalled.

"Great..." Ber grumbled, "Anything else?"

Stela shook her head, "No."

"Oh, that just made this a whole lot better." Ber groaned, stopping his walking.

This caused both girls to look back at him.

"How do we even know where to look for the guy when we barely know him anyway?" Ber inquired.

"I know him." Stela growled, "And I told you, he's been fond of the dumpsters."

"That's as good a place as any to start." Nita agreed, "So, suck it up, Ber, and let's keep walking."

"Sorry for being on the cautious side of things," Ber grunted as they continued to walk.

"It's okay." Stela sighed.

"There's a dumpster close to the alleyway we were at," Nita recalled.

"Then let's go."

They made it to the dumpster a few minutes later.

Stela smelled for any familiar scent... but frowned when she didn't smell him.

"No..." She whispered insisted.

"Look here." Ber grabbed a torn piece of a hat.

"That's the same cloth from Tikaani's hat!" Stela walked over to look at it.

"So, he was here," Nita noted.

"But where is he now?" Stela wondered, "If he was here, he would've stayed here. Especially if he was waiting for me."

"There's more than just two Siberian Tigers." Ber growled softly before he punched a wall in anger, "Of course they'd go after the less protected!"

"They wouldn't kill him just yet." Nita assured, "They'd use him."

"Use him as what?" Stela looked over at her.

"As a bargaining chip." Ber snarled.

"Meaning they'll use him to get to you and your pack." Nita translated.

"If that happens, my father will never let me lead the pack... even after his death." Stela remarked.

"Then we need to find him." Ber decided, "Now."

"But how?" Stela exclaimed, "We haven't exactly figured that part out!"

"We will." Nita guaranteed, "I know we will."

"Funny..."

They turned at the voice and saw a Siberian Tiger prowl up to them.

"You won't live to see that wolf again." He bared his fangs, "But give us the she-wolf, and we'll make a deal."

The three looked at each other as they slowly backed away.

"I've got a better answer." Stela let out, "Go back to where you came from, Tiger."

"Please... you couldn't kill me if you wanted to." He mocked, "You're nothing but a pup."

"I might not be my father. But I'm a lot stronger than you think." Stela's eyes started to change.

Nita and Ber grabbed her back.

"Now's not the time." They whispered.

"Oh? Are wolves listening to bears now?" The Siberian Tiger mocked.

The two pulled her back before she could do anything.

"Say that one more time and we'll see about it!" Stela challenged.

"Sorry... but I only came for you... not a fight." He denied, "Just thought you should know... we have your mate. He's safe... for now."

"What do you want with him?" Nita questioned.

"As you'd expect, Bear, we want him in exchange for the location of the Elverson Pack."

Stela's mouth dropped.

"Tikaani's safety for the location of my pack?"

"Precisely." He nodded, "Now... you can come willingly or... I am allowed to use other means to take you."

"Or," Stela reasoned, "I can give you one big..." Her voice turned to that of a wolf's growl. "No!"

Ber threw a trash can at the Siberian Tiger, causing it to jump back in surprise.

The three quickly headed for a ladder to the top of a building and climbed up it.

"Come on! Come on!" The bears called to Stela as she was climbing up last.

She nearly got to the top when the Tiger recovered long enough to claw at her leg and catch her pants, and for her to lose her footing.

She screamed in terror but kept a tight grip on the bars.

"Come down little Wolf! You're not strong enough!" He snarled up at her.

Stela glared down at him before she shoved him off her with her other leg.

The Tiger fell to the ground, stunned.

Stela took that time to finish her climb to the top.

"Stela." The two breathed out as she got over the edge.

"My leg!" She cried out in pain as she started dragging herself like a wounded wolf over to a clear spot.

The two others got beside her and looked her over.

"Got you pretty bad." Nita noted as she looked her over, "Luckily, not bad enough we need to go back to Sax."

"But not good enough to just leave it like this." Ber put in as he looked it over.

"Bears are known for their... healing ability." Stela groaned out.

"It takes years to get to that kind of level." Ber denied.

"Maybe for the leader..." Nita grumbled before she waved her hand above the wound.

Pain seared through Stela more than ever before.

Ber held her down and nodded to Nita to continue.

The She-bear nodded back before she looked at the wound, "Your lucky he didn't cut a vain."

"Just fix it!" Stela growled.

"Alright..."

The two bears shared a look before Nita's hand changed to a bear claw.

Ber held Stela down harder as Nita made three horizontal cuts against the Siberian Tiger's.

With each cut, Stela fought the urge to howl.

That was before Nita made two final cuts in an X formation against the wound.

This caused Stela's back to arch up and for her to howl in pain.