Part I Chapter 2

That night, it was impossible for Rey to get any sleep. Her fairy tales had not been able to hold her interest, either, and she spent most of the time after leaving Plutt's office staring straight ahead at what felt like a yawning abyss that was her future. If she left here... Everything would change. The comfortable routine of her life would be over and she'd never see her parents again.

After passing the next day in a stupor, she decided to forgo her reading to take a walk instead. The Jakku School was located at the edge of a village. It wasn't a bustling place, but it was a regularly-used crossroads for travelers going between London and the numerous country estates enjoyed by the nobility. When she was younger, she and the other girls would often try to get a glimpse of the fancy carriages and well-dressed people who passed through. It was a world none of them expected to ever be part of, any more than she expected to be part of one of her fairy stories. But it was fun to dream.

Tonight, though, her mind was elsewhere and she did not notice if there were any visitors who might have excited her attention. What was she going to do? She had been so content to work here and wait patiently, never letting herself truly look ahead. Because she didn't want to set her expectations too high for her reunion with her parents – it would be enough to see them again. Whatever the circumstances. And it wasn't as though there was much else in her life to which to look forward.

Her bitter thoughts were interrupted when something – someone – ran directly into her, nearly causing her to lose her balance.

"Oh, excuse me!"

Rey blinked down at a little girl, who could be no more than eight, staring up at her imploringly. "It's alright," she assured the child.

That brought a smile to the girl's face. "My name's Beatrice, what's yours?"

"I'm Rey," she replied, studying the girl's fancy orange and white dress. "Where are your parents?"

Beatrice's expression changed abruptly, her lower lip wobbling. "I don't know! I was looking for Papa, that's why I was running, but I can't find him! Maybe you can help me?" The last was a quiet entreaty after her outburst and Rey pursed her lips. It was getting dark and she needed to return home before they locked the doors. But surely finding the obviously wealthy parents of this child wouldn't take too long?

"Of course." She held out her hand and Beatrice took it gratefully. "Where do you come from?" Leading them toward the center of town, she kept an eye out for any carriages or well-dressed people. Even if none of them were the ones who had lost the girl, they might be better suited to finding her family.

The tactic to distract the child from her fears looked to be unnecessary, since Beatrice immediately relaxed. "I'm not supposed to tell strangers anything about Papa," the girl said, very serious.

Rey smiled. "Of course. It's important not to talk to strangers."

Beatrice stopped walking to look up at her. "We had no one to properly introduce us. Are we strangers, then?"

"I don't know," Rey replied. "I don't think so. Now, tell me, where are you and your papa staying?"

"The inn."

There were several inns in the town, a testament to its good location, but not beneficial in this instance. Of course, Rey shouldn't have expected a lost child to be particularly helpful. If she knew where to find her father, she wouldn't need Rey. Still, Rey needed more to go on than just the wealth of the family. "What does your carriage look like?"

"It's black, with red on it. Red accents," she added, sounding pleased with herself to remember the proper term.

"I see. How did you come to find yourself alone?"

"There were people who wanted to talk to Papa, and I went to play. I got lost." The last bit was defensive and Rey nodded seriously.

"We all get lost sometimes."

This was clearly something the girl had not previously considered. "Do you?" she asked, looking up intently at Rey's face.

"Yes," was her reply. She didn't say how it was always more metaphorical than physical, or how acutely she felt that way now. Instead, she forced a smile. "But I always find my way again."

Beatrice smiled and nodded. "Where do you live, Miss Rey?"

"At the school for girls at the edge of town."

"Oh! I've never been to school. Do you like it there?"

It was hard to keep the bitter expression from her face. "Very much. I teach there, now."

Nodding as though that made some sense to her, Beatrice returned her attention to the road and they continued in silence. They had reached the closest inn, and Rey looked around the establishment at all of the carriages, checking with Beatrice that none were familiar. While they walked to the next one, the girl chattered happily, clearly very confident in Rey's abilities to find her family. Rey wished she could share in the girl's optimism. Suddenly, she felt the unmistakable sensation of being watched. Looking around revealed no one, so she continued on doubtfully.

The darkness was encroaching and Rey was beginning to truly worry when a man came running toward them. Rey instinctively pulled Beatrice behind her, uncertain of his intent. He tried to grab for her, and Rey pushed him, hard.

"Hey!" he cried, frowning heavily.

"It's alright, Miss Rey," Beatrice piped up. "It's just Mr. Finn. He's a friend of Papa's."

"Where have you been, BB? We've been worried sick." the man in question demanded, leaning around Rey to look at Beatrice.

"I was just walking," was the defensive reply.

Mr. Finn, apparently, looked up at Rey as though noticing her for the first time. "I apologize for any inconvenience caused, ma'am. Thank you for returning her."

"Of course," Rey replied, glancing between them uncertainly.

The man held out his hand to the girl, who took it without hesitation. "For your trouble," Mr. Finn continued, pulling a few coins from his pocket and holding them out to Rey.

"Thank you," she responded, taking the money automatically. What an intriguing story to have stumbled onto. She had a feeling it would not be shared with her, however, so she smiled politely and watched them walk away, Beatrice smiling back at her.

As soon as they disappeared into the inn, she remembered herself and the time. She glanced around and saw no one who would comment on her actions, so she hiked up her skirts and took off at a run. What would happen if she didn't make it in time was not something she dared to consider. Though they had little contact with the outside world at the school, it had always felt like something of a relief to know the place was barred shut at night. She'd heard many tales of what might happen to a girl, alone, and didn't want to find out for herself if they were true.

The gates were just being closed when she reached the school. But she had made it! As she walked toward her room, breathing heavily, she looked at the money she had been given and was shocked by the amount. There was a lot of things she could do with this sum, she thought. Maybe her future wouldn't be so bleak after all.