Part I Chapter 4

Rey awoke from a strange dream of a cloaked figure watching her. Perhaps it was a phantasm, or perhaps it was because of the feeling of someone's eyes on her and Beatrice when she was trying to find the girl's family. Pushing the thoughts aside, she found that the carriage had stopped. She was alone. Hesitantly, she reached for the door and was startled when it opened.

"Oh, good, you're up. We're here," Finn told her, grabbing for his jacket, which had been left on the seat. He seemed agitated, and she wanted to ask him why, but wasn't sure it was her place.

"What time is it?" she asked instead.

"After midnight. Hurry."

She hastily jumped down from the carriage and followed him toward a decent-sized inn. Most of the lights were out by now and picking her way across the courtyard took a great deal of her concentration. It was fortunate that Finn wasn't in much of a hurry anymore, so she did manage to keep up well enough. They entered what was clearly a side door and climbed a narrow staircase. The common room would probably still be occupied at this hour, but this part of the building was quiet.

"This is your room," Finn said, gesturing toward the door and handing her a key. "I'm next door if you need anything."

She nodded, too struck by the enormity of having her own room to speak.

"Rey." She forced herself to focus on him. "I'm very tired. Try not to need anything until noon," he said with a smile.

"I'll try," she promised, returning the expression. He nodded and turned away. When was the last time she'd been alone at night? A long time ago, maybe never. The thought was exhilarating and a little frightening. She hadn't slept anywhere but her own familiar bed for years and years. And now she'd never be there again. She couldn't quite accept that – this all seemed so surreal.

The room was small, holding not much more than a bed. Still, it was more private than anything she could remember. She was pleased to find her trunk already there and waiting, and wondered how long she had slept in the carriage before Finn had come back to wake her. Perhaps that was the reason for his agitation. Unlikely. Maybe something had gone wrong with the travel arrangements. Who knew?

She gratefully changed into her nightgown and sank into bed. The day had been more eventful than any she could remember, and she hoped tomorrow would settle a bit. Somehow, she didn't think it would.

It was quite a bit before noon when she woke up. Uncertain what to do with herself, she tried to stay in the room as long as possible. But she could smell breakfast being prepared and hear people stirring, so it was hard. Finally, she gave in and left the room. It took a few minutes of searching to find her way to the common room, but she managed without incident.

There were people milling about who paid her no mind, not even glancing her way. She had expected to find Beatrice and her father here, but saw no evidence of their presence. Unsurprisingly, Finn appeared to still be asleep. She found a seat on her own and was glad when the landlady brought her breakfast without being asked. No question of payment was put toward her, which was a relief, and she realized she was famished. Had she eaten at all yesterday?

To her relief, Finn showed up just as she was finishing. "Good morning," she said, smiling at him.

"Morning," he replied distantly, looking around the room as though searching for someone.

"I haven't seen Beatrice," she offered.

That caused him to turn toward her sharply and she wondered if she'd said something wrong. "No, of course not. Poe – Master Dameron – was impatient to get home and they only stopped here briefly."