Smile

this oneshot is inspired by an AU video edit by @/noahschnappie on instagram

Troy had a knife around Dustin's neck.
"Jump. Or Toothless her gets an early trip to the dentist," he snarled. Mike walked towards the edge of the cliff.

"Mike! Don't do it. Seriously, Mike. I don't need my baby teeth," Dustin yelled. He took a deep breath in, and jumped.

Eleven was seconds too late. She ran to the cliff and looked over. Mike's lifeless body lay at the bottom. She and Dustin fell into a hug on the ground.

They sobbed, and held each other. It was unreal. Mike had actually jumped.

Third Person POV

Eleven woke up screaming and crying. Every night for the past week, she'd had a nightmare. She was so close. She had almost saved him.

Today was his funeral. She was unsure if she could manage to get out of bed.

"El, sweetie? Time to get up. I know it's hard. But we have to keep going. You need to take a shower. You'll feel better," Hopper instructed through her bedroom door.

She hadn't come out since the incident. She hadn't eaten anything. She rarely got out of bed, only to use the bathroom. She didn't shower. She barely slept.

Their friends weren't much better. Will had also fallen into depression. Mike was his best friend.

Lucas turned his back on the world. He hated everything and everyone. He was mad at life itself.

Dustin suffered extreme PTSD. He felt responsible for Mike's death. He missed his friend deeply, and felt the pain of his absence all through his heart.

The funeral was a beautiful ceremony. Eleven sat in the front row and sobbed the entire time. Will reached over and grabbed her hand.

"It's okay. He's still with us," he whispered. Dustin rubbed her back lightly and she leaned into him. Her friends were great support.

They went home and she returned to her room. Even eggos couldn't bring a smile to her face.