Chapter 9

NICO

I woke up alone in my bed and sat up quickly. My first panicking thought was that Jason had left, but then the smell of fresh coffee drifted into my nose.

I rolled out of the comfortable warm sheets and rubbed my eyes as the cool air hit my bare chest. I walked out of the room in my pajama bottoms and spotted the coffee and Gracie wagging her tail at me.

I bent down and scratched her behind the ears and lightly poking her tongue which was flopping out of the side of her mouth.

"Hey girl, hi!"

I stood up and walked into the kitchen where Jason was sitting and sipping a cup of steaming hot coffee.

"Good morning," I greeted.

"Good morning," He said back. I bent down and kissed him before walking over to get some coffee.

"I want to show you something today. I think you should see it before you leave in two days."

"Alright."

"And," I continued, "we are definitely celebrating your birthday."

"But that's next week!"

"So? You aren't getting away without a birthday gift," I chuckled. He pouted at me but gave in.

"I promise, you'll love it," I smiled and the edges of his mouth curled upwards into one too. I poured the coffee and sat down at the table.

"So what do you want to do after? It won't take too long, or it shouldn't at least."

"I don't know. Whatever you want to do."

"I want to take you down to Pike's Place Market so we can both get super creeped out and send cruel pictures to Percy."

A devilish grin spread across my boyfriend's face. "Excellent. I love it."

***

I led him through the gates of the cemetery and felt my heart breaking all over again. I led him down the path and through a group of trees to where the pond was surrounded by a gate. I stopped at the small plaque labelled with my daughter's name.

And

it

still

hurt

so

goddamn

much.

Gods, I would give up anything for her to be here with me right now, holding both Jason and I's hand and smiling up at me with that perfect smile that had been corrupted the day she was diagnosed.

I could feel my chest tightening and constricting with the pain of it all.

I shivered and Jason's arm went around my shoulders. We both stared down, the silence becoming complete, all but for our breathing.

Jason's head leaned on my shoulder and I leaned my head on top of his.

"I love you," He whispered.

I would have said something back if it weren't for the fear that I would break out crying all over again. Instead I squeezed him tighter around the waist with my right arm.

We stayed there for a while, I'm not sure how long. Finally, Jason turned to me and hugged me, whispering comforting things in my ear and then held my hand out of there.

Jason called a cab for us, and I gave the driver the address, just barely managing to hold back the tears that threatened to spill.

"I paint my nails red in honor of Evalynn. Red was her favorite color," I said out of nowhere. Jason turned to me and brought our entwined hands up to his lips.

"I like them," He commented. I smiled and sat back in the car, letting a breath of air out of my mouth.

 We got out of the cab twenty minutes later after paying with a twenty dollar bill.

"This is Pike's Place Market?" Jason asked, looking around.

"Yeah, the very first Starbucks is down at the end," I informed him. He laughed and kissed me, muttering, "Dork."

"Hey!" I exclaimed, but couldn't help the smile appearing on my face. We started down the crowded street, the sun high in the sky and a cool breeze making me wish I brought a scarf like Jason had.

"Fish side or other side?" I asked.

A mischevious glint gleamed in his eyes. "Fish side." I laughed and we moved to the side closer to the water.

Jason pulled out his phone (designed by Leo so they can't be tracked by monsters ((thank gods for Leo!))) and snapped a picture of a dead cod laying on some ice. 

"Oh, we're so cruel," I said, sticking my bottom lip out and pouting. "Too bad I couldn't care less."

"I know," Jason agreed with me in the same pouting tone as I. "Fish selfie!" I elbowed him in the ribs for the use of that absurd word but stood in front of the fish anyways.

My fingers found their way under his chin and I turned his head, pressing my lips to his. The camera shutter snapped and Jason pulled away from me, a smile in his eyes. I shrugged.

"We gotta tell them sometime," I said. He shrugged and sent the picture with the caption, chillin' like a villain to Percy.

"You're so dorky sometimes, you know that?"

"I'm your dork, and you love me."

"That," I kissed him again. "I do."

Jason's phone buzzed.

Annabeth just told me her big news! She's pregnant!

 His phone buzzed again.

Wait, you and Nico? I didn't think he was gay...

Yeah, bi actually. We're at Pike's Place Market right now in Seattle. I'll be home in a few days. And congrats on Annabeth! We can talk in a few days, okay?

Pike's Place? I can see that :)...Oh wait, I WILL KILL YOU GRACE! I SWEAR TO THE GODS I WILL STEAL YOUR LIGHTNING BOLT!

I laughed and Jason put his phone back in his coat pocket.

"Shall we walk?" He held out his hand, which I willingly took. We managed a great three steps before Jason's phone rang and an angry Annabeth picked up the other line.

"JASON AND NICO!" She screamed. There was loud sobbing in the background.

"I'm sorry, Annabeth, please don't kill us," Jason winced as he said this.

"AND WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL EVERYONE YOU TWO ARE TOGETHER NOW? AND NO MORE SENDING PICTURES OF FISH TO MY HUSBAND!" I laughed and my boyfriend shoved my shoulder.

"We were going to tell you when I got back to New York." She huffed and hung up the line. Jason turned his phone off.

"No more distractions," He said. I smiled and grabbed my hand.

"Let's walk on the other side now. The smell of fish is getting to my brain, and I don't want to become a Seaweed Brain." Jason laughed and we walked, laughing, to the end of the market.