3: Cat Got Your Tongue

.^^ view from the Entrance ^^

— Athenos —

As the leprechaun poled away, the boy looked at the other coin in my hand. "What kind of coin is that? White gold?"

"No, it's crystal. It's valuable, down here, and the main mode of commerce. The one I gave him was different, worth about a $20 bill. This one is worth about a thousand bucks, if the conversion rate hasn't changed all that much. Very valuable. Here. Call it a present." I tossed him one, and he fumbled with it. It hit the ground, despite his best efforts, but didn't crack, thankfully.

He dusted it off, and grinned. "Coooool. Is it magic?"

"The coin? No. Just crystal. Look around, you'll see lots of kinds, but this is the only kind that's given monetary value. You can trade other things, but it's more like bartering than buying." I explained, and led him into the market.

"What did you need, here? Anything specific?" He asked, looking around. He looked the very tourist, wide-eyes and staring at everything and everyone, but no one bothered him, seeing him in my company.

"Just some supplies. Maybe some books for you. You'd be surprised about some of the novels they write. They're very good." I hummed, and caught his collar when he reached for a cage, with a cat inside.

"What? Can't I buy him?" He asked.

"No. Maybe your mother will help you find a Familiar, but I don't like furred animals in my house. They shed, and it bothers me. A snake, perhaps, I'll think about, or a Dragonette." I shrugged.

His eyes widened slowly. "Dragon's are real?!?"

"You saw the Fairies, and didn't immediately assume Dragon's existed too?" I asked dryly.

He grinned, unaffected by the sarcasm. "That's awesome! But... wait, why is the cat in a cage?"

"You've been to a Pet Store before, haven't you? This is the same, but for Magical Animals. That's not a normal cat, I would assume?" I looked at the vender.

"Not in the least. It's got Ogre Blood. Turns into all manner of Felines, and I've seen him turn into a baby dragon, once." She nodded seriously.

"Only Felines And a baby Dragon Form? Must be thin Ogre's blood... but still very cool." I nodded when the cat's ears drooped. (I wasn't heartless, I just didn't like fur in my house.)

"He understands us? Hello! I'm James!" The Boy smiled, and the cat sat up on its hind legs.

"Hello, Sir James! I am known as 'Perceval'! I do hope you purchase me, sir, this cage is far too confining for my current size." He spoke with an overpowering British Butler accent, making the boy fall on his ass.

"Oh shut it ya furball, we both know you shifted bigger so you could complain! I don't mistreat my animals!" The vender snapped at him.

He huffed, annoyed at being outed. "Be That As It May, I would really like to leave."

I sighed as he pulled out the coin I'd given him. The vender's eyes widened, and she looked at me. "Your Call, sir?"

I groaned softly. "Six hours in my care, and you're buying a magical Ogre Cat. Wonderful. If you're sure, go ahead, but he's your responsibility. He's not really a pet, in most ways, but you'll still have to clean up after him, because I won't."

He grinned and handed the coin to the vender. "Great! I'll be taking Perceval, then?"

She nodded and tucked the coin into her dress, giving him back a smaller silver-colored crystal, worth about $80.