2-11: Gold is My Soul

.^^ The Vision Athenos ^^

— Athenos —

"A status report, sir, from Lady Durham." A male hand reached into my field of vision, momentarily confusing me.

I looked up, and hummed. "Greta's brother, yes? Medicine DemiGod, Laurent?"

"Correct." He nodded.

I nodded and read the report. "He defeated a Forest God on his own?" I asked, a little incredulous. I'd felt his surprise and adrenaline, but that didn't give me much details.

"Neutralized it before they could fight, actually. Turned it into a seed that we have not been able to find. Warren searched his belongings, but found nothing." He hummed.

I raised an eyebrow slowly. "And he will never do so again. My son is not under Lady Durham's employ, nor is he her property. That which he claims in battle is his own, regardless of any other variables. Is that understood?"

He nodded. "We agree completely, he will grow best when he is free to do as he pleases... but not being able to track him means not being able to keep him safe and, (our main goal as I'm sure you will agree,) alive."

"He will protect himself. And I have a way of tracking him, should he be in actual danger. Our psychic link traverses as many as eight of the realms. Unless he goes to Hel, or a different dimension, I will always know if he is safe." I shook my head.

I thought about the lock of hair James had placed in my pocket after his Chrysalis, which I had crafted into a rune of seeking, and branded into my left palm. Not even the 'secret' room I'd built for him in the Loft could keep out the magic I was constantly using to locate him.

"May I know where he is now?" He asked.

"Damascus." I nodded.

He blinked. "Where Ziamin Peterson, the rebel Ünterqueen, and eight of her male brethren, were just Sighted a few weeks ago?"

"Are any of the males Ünterkings?" I asked casually.

"No."

"Then he's fine. Send Warren to join him, in the shadows. Purely reconnaissance." I stressed.

He nodded and turned on his heel, walking out and making a call.

Greta looked up from her paperwork. "Is your son that powerful, or do you have something in the works?"

"Both... always, both"

I blinked slowly, and sat up straight. "Someone contact Warren and figure out what just put James to Sleep!"

"Already done, sir, he was kidnapped by a minion of the Dark Elf who calls herself the 'Golden Princess'. A high-powered Loan Shark putting on airs, basically. She is Seelie, not UnSeelie, surprisingly. Likely she wants an alliance, as he's hunting the rebels who have publicly announced they will pay no debts, to anyone... as that includes her, she likely wants to help him." One of the apprentices shrugged, holding out a phone.

I spoke into it. "Speak."

"Heya, Doc! Yeah, he's fine, they're dragging him to a warehouse that's pretty well warded, I can't follow them in without blasting the doors down. I mean, I wouldn't mind it, if you like." Warren chuckled.

"Your mission doesn't change unless they try to kill him while he's helpless. They you wake him up, and he lays waste to them. That is all. You will only fight when you are needed. Clear?" I commanded.