Chapter five

Juliet's POV

I couldn't stay still as I shivered not because of the cold night and the breeze that caused my body to be filled with goosebumps but due to the things I was imagining Amo could do to me. The sound of the drum beats seemed to be less louder than my heart which was beating as if it was a savage beast in a cage trying to get out. I tried to convince myself that everything would be fine but if something I had come to learn about Amo was that he was a really determined troublemaker that would go through hell to give you suffering that he has promised. The few weeks in the village has made me hear some of the stories of Amo. The stories were really scary but I wasn't going to let him scare me because it was my job to tame him.

The three drummers continued beating the drums but faster and faster with every passing second. I really admired how they beat the drums that seemed to make my heart beat to the rhythm of the drum beats. Their dark olive skin that glistened in the yellow glow of the torches surrounding the stage made me wish I could paint a picture of them and keep it in my room. Suddenly, the three drummers stopped and then,a man with a flute stood at the middle of the stage. He had his eyes closed and the flute rotated in his hand due to his expert fingers that seemed used to it. He had white war paint splasher all over his exposed chest. His arms was covered with some marks that i couldn't see properly in the night. His animal skin reached at his ankle which were tied with beads that seemed to jingle as he moved.

"That is one of the best flute players that I have ever come across. The wrestling match will begin after his performance and also the chief praying and blessing the wrestling match." I heard father Sam say but my eyes were still on the man who had his head bowed and his eyes closed. He seemed mysterious which I liked and I couldn't wait to see his performance. The whole audience was silent and only the hooting of bats could be heard. When he was sure everybody was looking at him,he raised his head.

He still had his  eyes closed. He raised his flute and brought it to his mouth. Then he blew and my ears got the taste of the most beautiful sound. He started it at a low pitch and he would lift his leg and the sound of jingling beads would accompany the sound of the flute. He started moving his body to the rhythm of the music. His body that was shining due to the oil he had applied all over his body was hypnotising. He moved as a snake moved its body as he continued to play the flute. Still,he had his eyes closed and it seemed he was used to it since he never made a mistake yet he moved from one side of the stage to another. Soon,the drummers joined and it was a perfect unison of different music which seemed to impress me more and more. I found myself moving my shoulders and head in accordance to the beats which I received a glare from my step father but I didn't care. I continued swaying my body to the music that I found myself on my feet and moving to the stage as I danced.

The action I did of joining the flute player seemed to have caused excitement all over the crowd and I could hear people cheering me. Thank God I had a slim waist and protruding hips that I swayed as I moved all over the stage. The flute player and the drummers seemed to have been thrilled and encouraged by my dancing and they played the music much faster and louder. I didn't fail them as I found my body adapting to the fastening beats. People all around seemed to have been excited by my dancing as they clapped and cheered me onwards. At that moment,I felt free and joy all over me. A smile crept on my lips and I laughed time to time. I seemed to be enjoying myself that I didn't realise it was over.

Everybody except my step father and a few grandparents that couldn't stand up were clapping at me. I curtsied and then walked back to my spot. Father Sam clapped at me and I could see that even chief Hasa had been thrilled by my dancing. He walked at the middle of the stage and everybody was silent. He started speaking and father Sam interpreted.
"That was a good performance from the flute player,drummers and my future daughter in law. I was entertained and I can sense everyone was which is a nice way to start the wrestling match. Everybody,close your eyes and let's pray to God to be with us."