.13

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam wanted to know. The room seemed to be tense and it was getting a bit heated.

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, No, that's cool. We got it." Rhodey looked at Sam with a conflicted expression. Sam was not having it, "How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation." Vision spoke up then making Carter turn his head from where he sat against Wandas legs, her hands were running through his hair, making his headache go away.

"Oh, this will clear it up." Sam huffed, crossing his arms, he watched Carters face and knew this would be hard to hear from Vision.

"In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man...the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period...the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." He explained, he was sitting with his legs crossed.

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve cocked his head, challenging Vision.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight...Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Carter nodded, he agreed with what he said, but the fact of the matter is, is that he knew the government would want to experiment on him, and try to figure out a way to increase his abilities.

"Boom." Rhodey looked towards Sam, before Carter spoke up, "I'm only worried about what they would do to me. You all know they want me as a lab experiment, I just- I'm worried for my safety if I do sign this." Carter looked down, before meeting Tonys eyes.

"Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal." Natasha looked over at the brillant human being. Carter knew automatically what Tony was going to do but Steve had beat him to it, "It's because he's already made up his mind."

"Boy, you know me so well. Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang? Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA...had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul...before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where. Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. We won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less...we're no better than the bad guys." 

Tony had put up a picture of Charles on the tablet. It showed a young African American man, and Carter saw the guilt appear on his face. Tony really beat himself up over the whole Sokovia situation, but he also knew the guilt Wanda felt, that was her home, she lost her entire life, including her brother. Her hands felt heavy on his shoulders, and he heard Steve suck in a breath, "Tony, if someone dies on your watch, you don't give up."

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony asked, putting the tablet down, Steve shook his head, "We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame."

"I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not S.H.I.E.L.D., it's not HYDRA." Rhodey spoke up again, looking at the super soldier, "No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change." Carter nodded, agreeing with Steve on that point. 

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realised what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands...I shut it down and stopped manufacturing." Tony looked at the team, "Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go?" Steve said, his tone was angry, and his eyebrow was raised, "What if there is somewhere we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own." Carter looked at the man who had pratically taught him everything he knew, "I'm sorry Tony, but I agree with Steve on this one." Carter looked at Tony's blank stare, Tony was astounded, he thought Carter would be all for this. 

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later." Tony said, not breaking eye contact with Carter who held his ground. Carter had to be strong for the Bartons as well, He knew that if Clint signed the government found out about the family, and potentially if a villain got his hands on that information...they could use the family as leverage and Carter would not let that happen. 

"That's the fact. That won't be pretty." 

"You're saying they'll come for Carter and I." Wanda spoke, breaking her silence to look blankly into the space between the group. Carter tighened his grip on Wandas hand on his shoulders, he leaned more into her. Vision looked to the two, "We will protect both of you."

"Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..." Hearing Natasha agree with Tony was almost unheard of, the two never agreed on anyting. Sam looked at her shocked, "Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?"

"I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."Natasha spoke, her gaze meeting the boy she considered a son, Carter was shocked, Natasha usually went against Tony, "Focus up. I'm sorry. Did I just mishear you...or did you agree with me?" Tony walked around the kitchen counter,  Nat shook her head, "I want to take it back now." 

"No, you can't retract it." Tony smirked at the red head. Steves phone vibrated and the look on his face was full of heart break and uncertainty, Carter and Wanda knew that it was about Peggy. Steve always told them about her, how she was so strong, her bravery was inspiring, Steve really loved her. 

"Okay. Case closed. I win." Tony had no idea what had just happened, but suddenly Steve stood up, "I have to go." He then walked out of the room, leaving a speechless and broken group of team mates behind. Carter looked up at Wanda, who ran a hand through his hair, he gripped her free hand and held on tightly. 

  ☆☆

Carter and Wanda were slow dancing in her room, being it was almost ten o'clock at night, her guitar rested on the stand, and her room was lit up with candles. They wanted to destress and this is how they managed. "Whats going to happen when Steve and you are gone?" She was worried, they all were. "I've decided I'm not going with him, I'm staying here with you." He whispered. "I'd never leave you behind when things are this fragile." Wanda rested her head on his shoulder as they slowly swayed back and forth. "Vision is here." She remarked, "Yeah but he technically can't go anywhere, he hasn't grown that much yet." Carter was refering to his skin, he was learning how to change his skin to appear more human and with practice, he was getting better. 

"I just wished things wouldn't have come to this." Wanda stopped suddenly and looked up at the man she sought peace in. "I know, but we will get through this." Carter's words made her confident that these accords would not tear them apart. Carter dipped his head down and he kissed her softly, she sucked in a breath, before reaching up and holding his cheek in her palm. The two pulled away and their foreheads touched gently, "I need you to promise me something...if something does happen where we get seperated, you cannot shut down, you need to keep moving. Do not let them break you. You are so powerful, never let anyone tell you any different." Wanda nodded her head, "I won't." 

"Thats my girl." 

||

authors note; 

i suck at updating, but good news, i have been working hard on planning Carters arc for infinity war so once civil war is done, i can finally give yall what you've been waiting for, and trust me its gunna be good so stay tuned. also if i see ANY character hate on this chapter due to the dialogue and discussion at hand your comment will be deleted and i will mute you. i dont like character hate, its rude and disrespectful.

-hal.