8

It was Reinette's eighth birthday when everything fell apart. They had been an extremely happy family. Until early that morning.

Reinette was drawing in her room, which was part of the house her father had built several years ago just up the beach from Darlig Ulv Stranden, before the sun rose. She suddenly heard screaming. Her face paled when she smelt it. Smoke. She suddenly got up very quickly, reaching for the kit she had gathered for emergencies like this. Instead of doing what her parents had taught her, she rushed upstairs to the third floor where her parent's bedroom was. She stumbled in, fighting off the tears that came with the blanket of thick black smoke in the room.

" Mummy? Daddy?!"

She screamed, her voice getting hoarse from all the screaming and the lack of moisture in the air.

" Mummy! Daddy! Where are you?!"

Several minutes later, she was crawling on the floor, trying to get a breath of clean air and trying to avoid the flaming books of her father's that were falling from their places on the bookshelves. She suddenly heard a crash and a tall, muscular figure appeared in the doorway.

" Reinette?!!"

" Daddy!"

She cried, making his brown eyes focus on her. He scooped her up and bolted down the stairs, jumping every one of them. He was downstairs when they heard creaking coming from the ceiling. They both glanced up before her father bolted towards the door. The door was open and they could see her mother standing there, gesturing for them to hurry, tears streaming down her face.

They didn't make it.

A/N: I'm gonna leave it there... ( cue evil laugh ). No, but seriously. I absolutely hate reading cliffhangers, but I love writing them. Please like and comment!