Chapter 5

The twins, Héctor and Imelda awoke to the sound of screaming.

It was coming next door, from Héctor and Imelda's room

Tía Rosita walked out of her room, in her night gown.

"Dios mio!" She exclaimed.

Julio and Coco walked out of their rooms looking concerned.

Victoria sighed and opened her door impatiently, waiting for an explanation of what made the scream.

Imelda and her younger twin brothers told everyone to go to the living room, and that they will clear things up in a bit.

Sleepily, everyone went to the living room.

Except Héctor.

He quickly opened the door to his room to find Miguel curled up in a ball rocking back and forth, panting.

Hector rushed to Miguel.

"W-what happened chamaco?.." Héctor soothingly questioned. "Tell me why you screamed."

"I-I.." Miguel stuttered. "I had a nightmare that I died, then I woke up screaming..."

Héctor looked concerned. In his eyes you could see Héctor was conflicted.

"T-then" Miguel started again. "I w-woke up here and I didn't know where I was."

"I heard noises outside, and I panicked.... that's when you came in..." Miguel finished.

Héctor sat silently for a minute, deciding what to do.

It settled on something his familia would have to know. Héctor hated himself for it.

"Chamaco......" Héctor began. "How did you...... die?".

Miguel's breathing started to quicken.

He remembered his death how much pain he felt. How much he wanted it to end.

His breathing was extremely fast, though barely hyperventilating.

Héctor was in shock as he watched the boy start crying, him struggling to breathe.

Héctor froze with fear.

He suddenly came to his senses and calmed the boy, though Miguel's breathing was still a little faster than it should be.

"Chamaco, I understand how you feel..." though Héctor really didn't. "But I need to know how you died, you familia needs to know how you died."

Miguel looked up at Héctor.

Héctor's usually smiling face was replaced with a concerned look, but also empathetic.

Miguel slowly nodded and wiped away his tears.

"I was walking home from school y-yesterday.." Miguel said. "I decided to take a short cut to make my trip home shorter by a few minutes, because I was excited to tell my abeulita what fun I had with my friends..."

Héctor looked worried, waiting for Miguel to tell of his demise.

"But..." Miguel continued, tears starting brim his eyes. "On the short cut I went through an alley... and a man jumped out of nowhere, he was hiding in the shadows, and attacked me."

Héctor looked shocked, but waited for Miguel to finish.

"He had a long, pointy knife, and landed it on my left thigh.." Miguel pointed to where the knife hit him on his leg.

Héctor shuddered.

"But he didn't stop, Papa Héctor.." Miguel continued. "He wanted to make sure I died. He stabbed my right shoulder, left arm...."