Doctor Poison

Oooooh, finally an antagonist!

As per requested by  @Abagailmeira

Profile

Name: Isabel Maru / Doctor Poison

Home: Spain

Job: Chemist in the German Empire part of the Central Powers during World War I

Appearance: Petite figure, dark hair, hazel eyes, slight Spanish accent, white shell of a mask to conceal a horrid scar on her left cheek and nose, often seen wearing a faded turquoise coloured top and pants, with sometimes a fedora- like hate and blue over coat

Short Biography

Isabel Maru is first introduced to us in the eyes of American spy Steve Trevor as a huge deciding factor of the Great War. Being a chemist, she was known for creating horrible gases that were used anywhere their allies weren't, regardless of whether or not is was on the front lines, no man's land or various towns and cities.

Fluent in several languages, as shown by the multiple ones found in her stolen notebook, she had plans to create mixtures of chemicals that could wipe out a lot of people in little time. It was supposed to help the German Empire (Central Powers as well) from having to sign the Armistice to put an end to the war, because it would mean the surrender of their side. She was seen plotting schemes and strategies with the German Empire's General Erich Ludendorff throughout the film, even supplying the fatal gas used against a council of Central Power leaders who had the idea that signing the Armistice was the best idea for their side. She took pleasure in their murders, even laughing at the taunting and mocking gesture of the lone gas mask thrown in the room, which she knew wouldn't help anyway.

She accompanies Ludendorff in almost all of her scenes, except for the last two where she is not by his side at the Gala in the castle. Instead, Steve Trevor tries a fleeting attempt at flirting with her - in a faked German accent no less - in order to try and get the whereabouts of the next place they are planning to send the gas. However, she coldly dismisses him and refuses to give up any information regarding it, especially when he is caught off guard and his attention shifts to Diana, who enters the party with a sword sticking down the back of her dress.

Finally, we finally see what has been hidden behind her mask with a very Phantom of the Opera-esque dramatic reveal in the final battle between Wonder Woman and Ares. The disfigured section of her face reveals what she's sacrificed in order to be placed in a high ranking position with much skill and knowledge regarding her chemistry...and regurgitating the lesson everyone knows of "you learn from your mistakes". I bet she didn't burn off another part of herself after that...or she put that dangerous knowledge to use and murdered thousands of people with it. One of the two. Or both.

Reason of Choosing Her

OK so, not that mass murdering innocent people is considered to be badass, but Dr. Poison managed to uphold substantial amounts of fear based on her work in the war. The character herself was also rather merciless and ruthless, especially regarding her test subjects for the gases she created. Never one to fear murder, Dr. Poison continued to promote fear, chaos and terror throughout Europe and the war. A strong and hardened woman, she continued on in her work in chemistry, despite the disturbing misshapen section on her face, likely caused from a chemistry accident. Practically fearless, we didn't see much of a significant character arc, seeing as she was simply focused on killing as many people as possible by perfecting her horrid creations - until the very end when she was cornered under Wonder Woman's wrath as she hoisted a tank in the air above her. Being as selfless as she usually is, Diana spared her life, and Doctor Poison was able to get away with her life, relatively unharmed.

Appearance in:

Wonder Woman

Hope you enjoyed this baddie ... drop some comments about what you thought of this chapter or the character you'd like me to publish a chapter about next.

~ElizabethSwann1