Facades

Sofia, dressed in a long tan wool skirt, brown boots, and a clinging turquoise v-neck sweater, entered the fragrant room. It always surprised her, how even though the ever-present candles weren't burning, the delicious, evocative scent lingered. Perhaps it is embedded in the walls by this point. After all, he's been burning candles and incense in here for almost 20 years. Before she reached the sofa where they were sitting, Prince, quick as a flash, reached her side and wrapped a silk covered arm around her waist, giving her an encouraging squeeze. Her slightly shaking knees, hidden by her skirt and boots, weren't lost on him.

'Hello, Sofia, I'm Larry,' Larry said, standing, hand extended to shake Sofia's. She respectfully shook his hand, and the three of them sat down. Prince's arm automatically went around Sofia's shoulder, pulling her in, giving her a soft kiss on her temple. Sofia tried to look relaxed, though she knew she wouldn't until this interview was over. This can't be a casual visit.

'Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Graham. Prince speaks so highly of you,' Sofia replied, her demure smile causing Prince to quickly swallow a laugh. He'd seen this act before, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

'No, no, honey, call me Larry,' he said, grinning broadly, the famous baritone voice slightly patronizing, like that annoying uncle who thinks he knows exactly what you're thinking, and assumes it isn't completely appropriate..

'All right, Larry,' Sofia acquiesced, though she didn't feel completely comfortable calling him by his first name. He was easily old enough to be her father. Raising her eyes to his, she continued answering his question.

'Prince and I were very close in the '90's, to the point where I was certain we were headed for the altar. Through some miscommunication and a lot of pride on both our parts, the relationship fell apart. A couple of men in my fellowship have approached me over the years, interested in beginning a relationship, but nothing ever progressed past the second date. The connection didn't come close to what I experienced with Prince, and that was a compromise I wasn't willing to make.'

'I'm jumping in now,' Prince interrupted. 'As you know, Larry, we've had lots of conversations about relationships, and why mine seem to fail frequently. The woman I kept thinking of during those conversations, the one I told you was my one regret-she's sitting next to me now. Jehovah in his mercy is giving me a second chance.'

'Giving us a second chance,' Sofia interrupted gently. Her face, now turned toward Prince's, was still filled with a demure, yet loving expression. Looking back at Larry, she continued, 'When we got down to it, there was too much pride on both sides. Neither of us were willing to reach out to the other one in order to clear up miscommunication until Prince took a chance and contacted me.'

'So, what I'm hearing both of you say is you have grown and matured in the intervening years. Sofia, can you make peace with the choices Prince made during those years?' He looked genuinely concerned, eyebrows lifted and drawn together simultaneously, yet the question felt intrusive to Sofia. She felt Prince's pinky finger surreptitiously caress her shoulder, even as the arm around her tensed up. She took a slow, calming breath through her nose before she dared respond to his nosy, inappropriate question. Who brings up a man's former relationships with his soon-to-be wife? Prince and Sofia thought, simultaneously.

Smiling slightly, she responded, 'None of us could be who we are today without living through our experiences, could we?' She leaned her knee into Prince's, pushing slightly. He got the hint.

'Larry, we've been all through this, and I think we're okay. I thought you said you wanted to talk about the ceremony?' Time to move this along.