Tell your dad not to buy a turkey

Tyler and I hadn't planned on hanging out today, but I took the day off to take care of a few things and decided to surprise him at practice. I have never seen a practice before and he has told me that they're open to the public so I decided today would be the day I watch my first practice. Being back at the practice facility brings back good memories from when he took me skating. There are a lot more people here today. I walk through the doors to the rink and sit down on the bleachers. Right now only the goalies are out on the ice. Ben and Kari. I've been trying so hard to remember everyone's faces and names and what they do on the team.

One by one the players start to trickle out onto the ice. I like watching how each of them prepares for the start of practice. I'm looking forward to seeing Tyler. He's been away on a road trip, so of course I've been missing him.

Tyler finally emerges from the locker room and it immediately brings a smile to my face. I wonder how long it will take him to notice that I'm here. I decide to stand up along the boards to get a closer look, the bleachers are too far away and it seems that's where most people are watching practice from anyway. I love watching Tyler at work. He has tremendous skill. I have to admit it's a big turn on for me.

He drops down to the ice to stretch and even though he is across the ice from me he hasn't spotted me yet. The coach skates over and starts talking to him. They seem to be having a light conversation as Tyler laughs and smiles a few times. He goes back to stretching and starts looking around and he finally sees me. He does a double take and opens his eyes wide with surprise, a smile soon follows. He gives me a sheepish wave before standing up and skating towards the net with a puck and shooting. He whizzes by, tapping his stick on the glass when he gets in front of me.

I am so happy I decided to come to practice. It's definitely a whole different experience than watching warm ups or a game. You get to see the players fine tuning their skills, learning, always learning. I catch Tyler looking over at me a few times and every time he does, he smiles. Everytime he smiles, it triggers a smile on my face. At one point he's standing by the boards with Jamie and I just know they're talking about me. They're not subtle about it. Talking, looking over, talking some more, laughs, looking over at me. They're such boys. I don't even want to know what Tyler is telling him.

After practice ends I walk out into the hallway, not sure where to go next. I know he will be in the locker room, I just don't know how long. I go into Rally House and look around for a bit. I wind up buying a few things while I'm in there. I get myself a sweatshirt and some Stars pajama pants and I buy my dad a Stars hat. He's a big hat wearing guy, so I figure he needs a Stars one to support Tyler.

I leave the Rally House and start to walk towards the hallway that leads to the parking garage. Maybe I'll just wait for Tyler out there. The doors open and I walk through them. There are fans lined up behind a rope and it stretches all the way down the hallway. I take a picture and send it to Tyler.

Your adoring fans await

I was thinking more like meet me out in the hallway by the staff entrance to the rink and we can go to the garage through the locker room.

Ok.

I should be maybe a half hour.

Maybe I'll go spend more money in Rally House

What? You shouldn't be spending any money at all.

Only got a few things.

My turn in cryo, I'll text you when I'm coming out to get you.

There are benches in the hallway outside of the practice rink so I take a seat and wait for Tyler's text. I took a few pictures and video during practice so I post a few things to my Instagram story. Tom Holy winds up coming out and we talk for a few minutes, so that helps me pass the time. I take a few dorky selfies using some Snapchat filters and post them. Tyler has posted a few videos from the cryo chamber on Snapchat so I watch those. I'm starting to run out of things to occupy myself so I'm relieved when I get the text from Tyler that he will be out to get me.